Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Silver lichter

miami85

Post Thu, Sep 13 2012, 10:40 pm
My DH likes to polish my silver lichter for Shabbos, I appreciate the effort, but even doing it on Friday it doesn't seem to last through Shabbos--especially with the air conditioner going all Shabbos. We've tried polish, special polishing gloves. How do you keep your lichter shiny?

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 2:01 pm
I heard once that WD40 or something helps it stay shiny but I have never tried it.

Are you using a good strong silver polish? Mine usually last at least 2 weeks sometimes 3 and I don't even store it in an airtight cabinet.

SingALong

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 2:38 pm
I've heard of getting it lacquered, though I've never tried it since a guy who repairs my silver told me that it ruins the quality of the silver. My cousin who lacquered her Leicester, hers is always shiny and silver, looks stunning.

mommyla

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 3:30 pm
Hagerty's silver polish, the liquid or the foam, keeps my silver shiny for weeks. If you follow the instructions on the bottle it should work!

Happy18

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 4:27 pm
I find that the more humid it is, the faster my silver tarnishes.

miami85

Post Sat, Sep 15 2012, 11:39 pm
I think he was using Haggerty's
Recently using the polishing gloves. One time I noticed once b4 shabbos was over the were so tarnished afterhaving been polished friday. I heard that laquring can damage the silver-- is that true?

paprika

Post Sun, Sep 16 2012, 1:47 am
I lacquered my leichter. The store owner said that it will last about 2 years. Mine is lasting 6 years, so far. If you decide to lacquer your leichter, make sure to do it in a reputable store. Some stores do a nicer job than others.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry