Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 17 month old can not articulate words

amother

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 9:22 am
My healthy 17 month old daughter, who understands everything, and has full physical/occupational abilities, can not form words. She just can't say anything aside from mama and baba (bottle) and baby. Any speech therapists on imamother that can try to suggest what is wrong with her? Could her mouth or tongue not be developed enough? She only has 3 teeth so far (my kids get teeth late) - could that be a factor? Sometimes she's congested - could that be blocking her from forming words? She sometimes babbles, but not often. Could she have delayed comprehension? She plays very nicely with her siblings and has an excellent sense of humor, plays peekaboo, does pretend play of cooking and plays with dolls. Please advise based on what you have seen in the field.

sarahlieba

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 9:30 am
I am not a speech therapist but isn't she a bit too young to be speaking anyway? All my kids started to speak late. Definately closer to being 2 and one did not started speaking till he was 3. Now we cannot stop him from speaking Smile All my kids were learnign 3 languages at one time and I think that might have been a factor. But even then, it is very rare for a 17 months old to be articulate. If you are very concerned, take him to ST for an eval. Hatzlacha!

bnm

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 9:55 am
my 16 month old just got approved for therapy but he can't do any of those things that you said your daughter can. at this age they don't expect words, they are happy if the kid is babbling and using consonants. you can call for an evaluation if you want

if she understands what you say and plays appropriately then its ok

bnm

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 9:56 am
also does she hear? first step is always taking a hearing test

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 10:25 am
My 17mnth old also does not say real words.
He says uh oh and babbles from here till heaven but he does not say any real words or sentences.

Some kids just talk late
(he also only just started getting teeth.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics