Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Preschool/playgroup 101 please

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 1:18 pm
I decided to keep DD home this year even though she's quite precocious but I am quickly realizing that she will definitely need something more next year. She will be turning 2 soon. I have no idea how to go about this! Parenting a baby I could do but... school? I'm going to be a parent of a schoolkid?! When did that happen?! Can someone walk me through how it works?

1. When do I need to start applying for next year?
2. How do I go about finding/researching my options?
3. How much should I expect this to cost (NYC area)? Are there ways to help defray the costs? Head Start, UPK, whatever? What are they, what do I need to know about these things?
4. We may be looking to move to a different community by next year but have no idea where yet. Yikes.
5. How do they determine placement if a kid is between ages at the beginning of the year?
6. What else should I even be asking?!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me a crash course in navigating this new stage of life!

all is good

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 2:04 pm
I have a 2 1/2 yr old and 3 1/2 yr old in school now in brooklyn. I remember when I started out with my older daughter I was also quite lost. let me see if I can help you out...
1. I know this may seem far off but try to think where you might consider sending her for kindergarden. This is b/c if that school has a nursery you should try to send her there to guarantee a spot for preschool, and then you'll need to apply as soon as you can, by end of november/early december for sure. If you're gonna send her to an unaffiliated playgroup of nursery, you can wait a few more months probably. Even till march I would say. But you can still start researching now...
2. Ask a/o you know in the area where they send/t their kids and why they were happy or not. keep in mind though that different ppl look for different things. To some warmth is a must, to some an organized classroom and weekly newsletters is a must. Try to think what you want for your daughter and keep that in mind when you do your research. Also, I strongly recommend you go down and observe the ones you're looking into. I did that myself and it really helped me make my decision.
3. Places can start at 350 per month, some are 450. If you think you're financially eligible for headstart (upk is for older kids), look into it now, those places fill up really fast. call 311 for an hra office number to see if you're eligible or go online.
4. I dunno if I can help you here, just start thinking where now I guess!
5. Usually there's a birthday cut off month. if the child will be 3 by december (I think), they go to the 3 yr old class.
Good luck! Ask away, I may have more info as I myself did a lot of research... pm me if you wanna know where my girls go now. I have my particulars and I'm very happy there b'h.

iluvy

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 2:39 pm
Seeker, I hope you don't mind if I join your thread - I also need a preschool crash course! Specifically, I'd like to know about Masores and Prospect nursery (or really, any nursery affiliated with Brooklyn Beis Yaakovs).
1. What is the application process? Do I just stop by and pick up an application? Do I start by calling a director?
2. How much do they charge yearly? Are there any discounts for financial need? (Or academic scholarships? Smile)
3. What are their hours?
4. If you've sent to any of these places, what was your experience there?

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 2:44 pm
I don't think the real schools in my area have classes for 3 year olds so for now I guess I'll specifically be looking at nurseries. The nurseries have kindergartens but the schools don't have younger than kindergartens afaik.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics