Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
FREEZING house, am I being unreasonable?
Previous  1  2  3

cm

Post Mon, Oct 29 2012, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
Hi I'm the op. Thanks for all comments. OK so it doesn't sound like there's right or wrong answer.
Just to clarify the host is definitely in much better financial position by the look of their house and cars, what they served for meals and the kinds of clothing they wear. Actually much well to do than most people in my community. But I take many of your point that they were doing people favour by hosting us.

The weekend we stayed, the temperature was like low 40s in the evenings, high40s during the day. So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some heating during the night. I set my house at around 64, I don't like overheating our house either and it was definitely colder so I suspect either their thermostat were off or had it like 60. Maybe it's different in Maine or Canada, but I always thought people wear sweaters when they go outside. I mean what do they wear outside if they're already wearing sweaters. And I'm not talking about dressing gown on top of PJ or nightdress. We knew it was going to be cold outside so we bought our winter coat and that was it. So there was no way we ould put on our witer coats inside the house.

sorry for the vent. I think we just weren't prepared for the temperature.

You're right, there's no right or wrong answer. I grew up in a drafty old house. We wore sweaters inside, and piled on the blankets at night. But I've been surprised at how super-cold some other houses are. It's especially the case with older homes that are harder to heat efficiently.

About the bolded part: in a cool climate, you wear a sweater indoors, and a winter coat over your sweater outdoors.

I agree that if the weather is in the 40's, you would expect a little bit of heat. Some parts of my house get more heat than others, so I keep a space-heater on hand for guests.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics