Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Shredded meat and sauce question

yo'ma

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 6:01 pm
Is it easier/better to shred meat before or after it's cooked? I want to serve shredded meat (steak) in a pita bread with vegetables. I want to put a sauce in the meat. Can you recommend a homemade sauce that would be good with it please? Thank you!

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 6:03 pm
I make this with BBQ sauce. I usually cook the meat without sauce, shred and cook again in the sauce for maybe 20 minutes or so. I also do this with a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. It's a favorite dinner around here.

ally

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 6:05 pm
I do slow cooked brisket in homemade bbq sauce.
It is my new obsession.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 6:13 pm
If I don't have a fleishig shredder, the only way to do it is with a knife, right?!

Thanks, btw!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 6:15 pm
I suggest you cook the meat first. If you slowcook either covered or smothered with sauce/gravy for a long time, it would be fork-tender. Much easier to shred that way.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 6:17 pm
cook it in sauce until very soft.
then take a fork in each hand, and dig them into both sides of the meat, and pull.
you will be able to easily shred the meat. it basically shreds itself.

shmaichul

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 7:56 pm
What's the best kind of meat for this? Sounds yum!

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 8:07 pm
Shredded meat:

2 lbs meat of your choice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 onion, sliced
2 Tbsp. Onion soup mix
5 cloves garlic
3/4 cup ketchup
1/8 cup beer

Cook meat, topped with onions and sauce, in show cooker for 8-10 hours on low (our 5 hours on low). Remove meat and shred with a fork. Strain liquid and pour back half the liquid. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. Spoon into baguettes.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 8:51 pm
shmaichul wrote:

Something that can withstand long slow cooking. I would use brisket. Or neck fillet if using lamb. No sense using an expensive cut of meat.

STovah

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 8:55 pm
shmaichul wrote:

It is! I've been making brisket in my slow cooker (using the variation of Emeril Lagasse's recipe on
Smitten Kitchen) and the parts that don't slice so nicely turn into pulled beef sandwiches for supper. Buy the freshly baked baguettes that are available in some boro park groceries and you'll have a really delicious supper.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 31 2012, 2:10 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
Shredded meat:

2 lbs meat of your choice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 onion, sliced
2 Tbsp. Onion soup mix
5 cloves garlic
3/4 cup ketchup
1/8 cup beer

Cook meat, topped with onions and sauce, in show cooker for 8-10 hours on low (our 5 hours on low). Remove meat and shred with a fork. Strain liquid and pour back half the liquid. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. Spoon into baguettes.

I used this sauce recipe. I cooked it covered well on a low flame in the oven for a few hours. I tried to shred it with a fork, but it didn't work, so I used my hands LOL . Thank you everybody!!

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Oct 31 2012, 4:56 pm
Depending on the size of meat, but I usually cook at least 4-5hours (for 1.2-1.5kg brisket) for easy slicing but before it gets shreddy. A few hours would not be enough. But so long as it's cooked and you can shred anyway, it should be ok. Enjoy

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 31 2012, 5:03 pm
I do this mainly with chicken in the crockpot. I either do BBQ sauce on buns or Mexican spices for chicken tacos. I cant bring myself to do with it roast or brisket since they are pricey even though I eye the KBD recipe for BBQ beef sandwiches all the time.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 31 2012, 9:56 pm
shmaichel: I like using a piece of london broil and cooking in the crockpot
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics