Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Questions for mommys of twins

amother

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 8:44 am
When you were pregnant with twins, how much bigger did you get in your last 4-5 months? Did you double in size / triple in size / etc?

In terms of strollers for twins, does anyone have either the City Select OR Bumbleride Indie Twin that they used with 2 infant car-seats at the beginning? BUMBLERIDE INDIE TWIN is only compatible with maxi cosi carseats, are those safe?
Which one is easier to push, or go on brisk walks with? side by side double stroller or one in front of the other?

thanks!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 8:45 am
Maxi Cosi car seats are among the safest options out there.

Kumphort

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 8:50 am
I got huge in the end, but I always carry big, I had a very hard time finding clothes that fit in the end.

To illustrate, I remember trying on a button down shirt, that I had wore the day I had given birth to my previous child, this was about 6-7 weeks, before I gave birth to my twins, and it wouldn't close, it was a button down, so it didnt have that much give, but still...

I didnt use either of those strollers, I had a snap-n-go, for when they were in carseats.

rac429

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 9:20 am
I bought the Bumbleride for my twins and have been extremely happy. It is so easy to push and my babies have plenty of room to grow in it. I got a double snap and go and that is what I use for travel in the car. When we travel we just put the babies in the stroller and checked the car seats. It would have been nice to have the car seats fit in the stroller but it worked out fine. My problem now with the snap and go is that my kids are getting bigger (9 months old) and heavier and it is really hard to carry the car seats in and out of the house. I am seriously considering switching them to regular car seats. I am also looking for a MacLaren double to keep in my car.

I only gained 15 lbs. my whole pregnancy and was on bed rest the month before my babies were born so no one saw me. I could not even wear my maternity skirts because they didn't fit properly so I ended up wearing my regular clothes my whole pregnancy. My babies came 6 weeks early so I may have gained more the last couple of weeks had they decided to stay in.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 2:17 pm
rac429 wrote:
I bought the Bumbleride for my twins and have been extremely happy. It is so easy to push and my babies have plenty of room to grow in it. I got a double snap and go and that is what I use for travel in the car. When we travel we just put the babies in the stroller and checked the car seats. It would have been nice to have the car seats fit in the stroller but it worked out fine. My problem now with the snap and go is that my kids are getting bigger (9 months old) and heavier and it is really hard to carry the car seats in and out of the house. I am seriously considering switching them to regular car seats. I am also looking for a MacLaren double to keep in my car.

I only gained 15 lbs. my whole pregnancy and was on bed rest the month before my babies were born so no one saw me. I could not even wear my maternity skirts because they didn't fit properly so I ended up wearing my regular clothes my whole pregnancy. My babies came 6 weeks early so I may have gained more the last couple of weeks had they decided to stay in.

Thanks everyone!
Wow Rac429 how big were each of ur babies when they came out? were they really small because u gained so little?

Another Q I have - when did you tell your family it was 2 and not 1? Or did u just suprise them...

rac429

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 6:12 pm
My babies were 4"4 and 4"2 so not too tiny. We also didnt tell anyone except our parents that it was twins. It was so much fun when everyone found out!!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 9:09 pm
Oh wow - so cute! Did you tell the parents from the beginning? We don't want ours to worry or get anxious so we are thinking of not telling them.. But maybe last minute.
On a side note - Have any of your twins come with sibling/siblings? I am scared that our daughter will be traumatized from going from being the only one to all of a sudden having 2 siblings. It will be a whole new life for her and I'm scared and so nervous for her how she will take it. It's what I worry about all the time - I want her to be happy, and not resentful. Anyone have experience who can lend some advice?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 9:17 pm
im 36 weeks now expecting twins and huge!!! we only told our parents but everyone seems to have guessed. im also getting comments from strangers all the time about me having twins! ( at least 2 comments a day!) freinds and family thought I was due 3 months ago! I gained about 40+ pounds so far and due to give birth in about 2 weeks. I have about 3 tops that I bought later that fit, thats about it! I plan on getting the mountain buggy stroller cuz its very narrow and the elevator in my building wont fit anything bigger.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 9:44 pm
amother wrote:
im 36 weeks now expecting twins and huge!!! we only told our parents but everyone seems to have guessed. im also getting comments from strangers all the time about me having twins! ( at least 2 comments a day!) freinds and family thought I was due 3 months ago! I gained about 40+ pounds so far and due to give birth in about 2 weeks. I have about 3 tops that I bought later that fit, thats about it! I plan on getting the mountain buggy stroller cuz its very narrow and the elevator in my building wont fit anything bigger.

When did you start to get ''huge''? About what month? just wondering when that stage comes when people start guessing.. lol

amother

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 11:10 pm
I would say about 7th month I looked like I was in my 9th.. I always looked 2 months more then I was. and also started showing about 3 months

rac429

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 11:18 pm
So we told our my parents right away and my inlays a couple of weeks later. I had some serious complications and needed my parents help with my older DD. we talked to her a lot about the fact that mommy was having a baby (I never said babies) and she understood somewhat since I couldn't lift her and was on bed rest for a month. We bought her a crib, car seat, highchair, and some other things for her doll so she could do the same things I was doing. She basically ignored me while I was in the hospital but once I came home (babies stayed) she warmed back up. My babies were in the Special Care Nursery of my hospital for 12 days so I made sure to spend as much ime with her as possible while they were not home. When they came home I left her hold them and help out as much as possible. I had help for five weeks so I was able to spend a lot of time with her. Now she loves them to pieces and gets them to laugh all the time. My DD was 2 1/2 when my babies were born. I also had little gifts I got for her so that when people brought gifts for the babies I had things to give to her. It is exhausting but I tried very hard to make sure her life was disrubted as little as possible when they were born.

Meglmom

Post Fri, Nov 23 2012, 12:26 am
I carried my twins 38.5 weeks (born 6.8 and 7.2) and started out bigger from like in my third month(by other kids didnt have to use anything outside before fifth month by twins felt plotzy end of my third month) But nobody really guessed that im having twins except for my sisters and two close friends since they saw how weak I was and how little I cared about thing as that usally matter a lot! in beg eight month I didnt have a thing left that fitted so bought three great tops +shabbos top by oldnavy.com for very cheap. By other kids I had front n back car carriage and hated it so I bought mclaren for traveling and have an old mountain buggy that is great!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:09 pm
Did you all do double nursing? I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to do it.. any tips?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:18 pm
Also - if any of you have another kid who'll be a sibling to the twins - how do you do it at the beginning with trying to recover / getting your kid to playgroup/school in time while juggling the twins schedule and picking the sibling up from playgroup without disturbing the twins possible napping schedule?? I guess I'll have to see when I get there but I'm getting nervous abt so many things.. B'H . just would like to hear some people's thoughts who have experience..

Kumphort

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:28 pm
I did nurse my twins, (till almost 23 months, longest I ever nursed)

In the beginning I nursed them separately, and was basically nursing 24/7. After a couple of weeks, I was able to nurse them at the same time using an EZ2nurse pillow.

I found it helpful to keep them swaddled, BTW swaddling blankets will be your best friend!!, while nursing to be able to set everyone up.

As far as managing everyone's schedules, in the beginning you are going to need help. Take advantage of as many people as you can, even if you are so not the type, and I am so not, people are more than willing to help out especially when people know that you have twins, now is not the time to be superwoman.

In general though, I think things have a way of working themselves out, I always say that I hated knowing for so long, that I was having twins, because it just gave me more time to worry about things, that there was no point in worrying about. I would have much rather popped out that second baby on the delivery table, instead of making myself crazy for 30 weeks.

I also found other websites, just for twin mom's so all that was being discussed were issues that I was going through.

Really don't sweat it, just let things fall into place.

Good Luck

rac429

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Also - if any of you have another kid who'll be a sibling to the twins - how do you do it at the beginning with trying to recover / getting your kid to playgroup/school in time while juggling the twins schedule and picking the sibling up from playgroup without disturbing the twins possible napping schedule?? I guess I'll have to see when I get there but I'm getting nervous abt so many things.. B'H . just would like to hear some people's thoughts who have experience..

I had a 2 1/2 year old when my twins were born. They were in the hospital for 12 days so that gave me a little time to recover although it was exhausting because I spent 6 hours a day there. My husband took my DD to daycare in the morning and I picked her up in the afternoon. I had a nurse for 5 weeks so she stayed home with the babies while I picked her up. Now, they nap from 9-12 and then from 2-4 and I pick her up at 5:30 so naps do not interfere with her pickup. The most important advice I can give you is to get them on a schedule and stick to it. I also had a box and wrote down when they ate and how much and when they pooped. This really helped me keep track of everything and I had all this information to show the Dr. at each appointment. Back to the schedule. My babies ate every 3 hours and now they go every 4 hours. I am very strict about feedings and I make a point to either be home in time to feed them or be in a place where I can stop and feed them. I also try very hard to give them naps at the same time every day. We have a lot of structure to our days and it works very well. They know that at 6:15 they get dinner (they start to get fussy), bath and then a bottle and bed. They go to bed without any problems and sleep through the night. I tried nursing in the beginning (each one separately) but they rejected my milk and wouldn't take it. I was pumping hoping they would but stopped doing that after a while because it just wasn't worth it. The most important thing is to just enjoy them. The sleepless days and nights will blur into each other and before you know it they will be so big. Mine just turned 9 months this week and I have no idea where the time went. They are turning into people and it is crazy (in a good way Very Happy)!!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 5:43 pm
for the person who has the indie twin double - have u had good experience w/ it? does it fit thru doorways? can you go on walks with it? do u use it with the 2 car seats?
I'm reading some negative reviews online so its making me scared....

rac429

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 3:54 pm
amother wrote:
for the person who has the indie twin double - have u had good experience w/ it? does it fit thru doorways? can you go on walks with it? do u use it with the 2 car seats?
I'm reading some negative reviews online so its making me scared....

I love my Indie Twin Double. It is a little tight through the door to my house and we had to take off the cup holder cause otherwise it scraps against the door but otherwise I have had no problems with it. It pushes so nicely and I have gone on lots of walks with it. It can be used with two car sears but then need to be Maxi Cosi car seats and you will have to buy and adapter. Overall I am very happy with it. I did just get a MacLaren for my car because it is big and a little difficult to take in and out of my car. Also we are going to be traveling a lot in the next couple of months and I wanted something a little lighter. Although we did take it with us to Florida this summer and it was fine. I wanted a stroller that not everyone has but was more affordable than the Bugaboo Donkey. I have found that this one is not as popular as others but those that do have it love it.

ellie23

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 4:14 pm
not sure how much I gained in the last part but altogether I was about 50 pounds heavier..originally I got the graco snap n go with graco car seats...goo for newborns and short walks..it may be a bit much for more intense walking and certainly not good for jogging or trying to get into small stores etc...

I later got the city mini....dont love it or hate it- its just ok. it is a smooth ride, very easy to push. but it isnt too cushiony for baby and they have no place to rest dangling feet..my kids wont nap in it..I kind of wish I had gotten a different one now that I think of it...but its convenient, cheaper than other options, and folds nicely...fits literally through every door...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more