Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I finally figured it out now how do I make it a reality?
Previous  1  2

ROFL

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 12:49 pm
Did you ever hear of industrial psychology? That is the degree to get for the job you want to do.

bbmom

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 2:09 pm
OP here are my thoughts-

You, very impressively, have pinpointed a career that you think you will enjoy, that can utilize your talents and can hopefully bring in extra income to you household.
There's one catch- you've chosen a field in which you need a) experience and b) professional training in order to succeed.

Step 1 of your 'how do I make it happen?' question is enrolling yourself in a program that will give you the training you need to make this happen. Since success in this field is unlikely without training you need to decide if that is something that you're willing to do. Check out the link below, it is a good description of industrial psychology which is what you seem to want.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki.....ology

Step 2 would be getting work experience, building a portfolio and gaining a reputation. This is not going to happen overnight, but with hard work, determination and the right focus it can happen. Some practical tips are:

-Learn as much as you can about the business world. Read books, talk with business owners you know, find experts to talk to, ask people if you can (as part of your training) spend time at their place of business.

-Start marketing your services before you complete your training. Offer your services to friends and family at very low costs. This might feel almost like "playing" but it can be valuable to your portfolio later on. Keep written records of any work you do in these cases and if they are satisfied have them write letters to you expressing their satisfaction. You won't be making money at this point but you will be getting experience you desperately need to make it in this field.

-You will likely get internship positions at larger firms as part of your training. This is also work experience.

-If you need to start making money immediately after you complete your training look for a salaried job in a larger firm while you continue to build up your own clientele. Make sure to read all the fine print on your contract because many emoloyers explicitely forbid this.

-Once you have the required degree you'll need to be more aggressive in your marketing plan to acquire more clients. Explore every avenue for this. Ask for ideas from everyone you know, brainstorm all the time. Get your DH to help you and feel a part of it. Ask on Imamother. Whatever you do never stop and say "my plan is good enough" always look for new and better ideas to get your name out there.

-At some point you will be marketing a product (your services), you will be selling said product to clients, you will be making a profit, and you will (hopefully) have satisfied customers who recommend you to others. That, my dear, is a business.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics