Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How do I get my five yr old dd to sleep through the night?

bookie

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 9:48 am
My five year dd wakes up almost every night to be covered. Last night she woke up three times! It's like having a newborn! I don't want to ignore her because she will end up waking up my other kids. But I'm so exhausted that I can't deal with it anymore.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 10:20 am
Sounds like a star chart opportunity. Or buy a bag of small toys -- like party favors -- and tell your child that each morning that she doesn't wake up, you'll give her one of those. By the time the bag is done, hopefully she'll be out of the habit.

Also, sit with her for a few minutes beforehand and teach her how to spread out the blanket herself. It could be she really does have a hard time with it.

Soul on fire

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 11:59 am
duct tape and benadryl Tongue Out Tongue Out
she wakes to be covered with her blankets? is that the only reason she's waking? try a sleeping bag.

cinnamon

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 12:06 pm
just wanted to say that I have the same problem. My 5 y.o wakes up more often then her new born brother!

I tried teaching her to cover herself. she knows how to do it but in the middle of the night she wants me.
Tried a chart she got three stickers in four weeks.
I know I should refuse to cover her at night but I am too tired to deal with her so I just do...

Any other suggestions?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 12:09 pm
We were having the same problem with my 4 1/2 year old a few months ago. I tried the sticker/prize method. It completely did not work.
I finally just put some heavy dolls at the corners of her cover to weigh it down and things have been fine.
Once every while it happens again, but not every night, a few times.

black sheep

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 12:14 pm
warmer pajamas Smile
almost all of my kids don't sleep through the night until around 5 or six. I let them bring their blanket and pillow to my room and sleep on the carpet next to my bed. they know that can wake me if they really need me, but if they just miss me then can quietly sleep in my room. its always a fun surprise in the morning to see who's sleeping on the floor of my room Smile
she is old enough for you to explain to her that it isn't healthy for you to be woken up repeatedly, unless she really needs you (if she's scared or wet her bed or doesn't feel well.) give her an immediate prize each morning that she covers herself in middle of the night, like a sticker or chocolate.

ROTA

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 12:29 pm
Tuck the blanket under the mattress.

bookie

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 12:39 pm
Tks for all the replies. I don't see the chart working. She is a very restless sleeper so the blanket falls off easily. I will try tucking the blanket in.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 2:11 pm
A sleeping bag is a good idea. Or maybe put velcr.o along the two long edges of the blanket, so it stays closed, but can be pulled open easily if needed.

enneamom

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 3:59 pm
It sounds like sleep training is in order, same as you would do to wean a toddler off bottles during the night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers