Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hydrocele Surgery

amother

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 4:19 pm
My son is having a hydrocele repair surgery soon. He is 21 months old. I am familiar with the procedure and all that (I did lots of online research!!!!), but I am concerned about the recovery period.

Can anyone who has had an experience with this type of surgery tell me what the recovery was like, both immediately after the surgery, and in the days and weeks afterwards? What activities were you told to avoid? What were the bangages like? When did life get back to normal?

TIA!
A nervous Mama!!!!

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 4:50 pm
My ds didn't have the hydrocele, but he had an undescended testicle and I was a mess. He was fine. He woke up, was a tad tired, and then was completely himself.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 5:39 pm
My son had this about 4.5 years ago at about 18 months. Here is what I remember from after the surgery:
He woke up in recovery very groggy. I was there waiting for him and I woke him up when the doc said to. he was sad and crying but I held him for a while and he eventually calmed down. the IV was annoying him until they took it out.
once we got back home he was very tired, and I gave him painkillers for a few days; whatever they told me. he slept well that nite and by the next day he was up and about. I kept him home and we played calm toys and games and I kept him from getting wild.
that was pretty much it. BH not bad.
Bandages I dont remember being an issue.
Hatzlacha

amother

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 6:24 pm
My ds had it at age 2. The hard parts were not having him eat or drink the day of the surgery, and immediately after, when he was agitated coming out of anesthesia. Of course it's scary having your child go through any surgery, but he was obviously unaware, and recovery was no problem. Once he kept down liquids after the surgery, they let us go home. He was pretty tired that evening and dozed. By the next morning, it was as if nothing had happened- he woke up happy and did not seem to be in any pain. I didn't give him any Tylenol or painkillers at all. The worst side effect was constipation from whatever painkillers they gave him in the hospital. The bandage (a tiny little steristrip that we peeled off after a week or so) had to be kept dry for 24 (or 48?) hours, but there were no other restrictions in terms of activity or anything. The scar is barely visible a year later. Refuah shelaima!

dina23

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 3:24 pm
My son had it done twice (one on each side) one year apart. It was really not difficult at all. He woke up a little cranky but was home and running around by the afternoon. I think I was more nervous/upset about the experience then he was. We also had a great surgeon which was very helpful. It's a few years later and no scar at all. Compared to tonsils and adenoids this was a breeze.

Liba

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 3:30 pm
My DS had the surgery two months ago. It was one of his easiest surgeries, once he stopped vomiting after the anesthesia. He was okay without more than motrin (and he needed codeine after his hernia/undescended testicle surgery about a year prior) once he got home. He had two small incisions with just steri strips over them, no bandages. We were told to give him twice daily baths for the week after surgery, though his ped seemed surprised about that.

We kept him home from school for three days and after that he was a bit sore, but B"H happy to go back to school. I would have sent him back sooner but the boys in his class were into jumping and rough housing a bit more than either of us were comfortable with right away.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 3:45 pm
I am so happy to. C a thread about this. Cuz my ds will also need it on one side. I has a dr app this Thursday but they called me that I will have to pay 100$ for insurance. My ds is 11.5 months and I want to switch insurance so won't have this problem. About what age do ppl do the surgery?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics