Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Pumping at work - law?

calaflower

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 1:03 pm
I'm about to return to work after maternity leave, and I tried researching the laws requiring an employer to allow break times and a private place for an employee to pump. I found information, such as employer providing a "reasonable" break time, and the fact that you don't get paid for that time, and that they must provide a private place to pump without being interrupted by coworkers. The only problem is it says this applies only to companies with 50 employees or more - seriously? does anyone know anything about this? has anyone pumped at work before?

I'll just add that about 3 years ago I had a baby and returned to work, and had 2 breaks for pumping, however, I never had a set place to go, sometimes the only space available was an area with no lock on the door... not to mention my coworkers talking behind my back how I was just trying to get out of doing work and how I'm not really pumping in there... was a nightmare. I'm still employed at the same business. Also, it's not the type of job where you sit at a desk, so I don't have my "own space" in general. I feel that if there was a law requiring my employer to provide these things, I would have more of a right - 3 years ago I felt like they were doing me a favor, so I had to put up with all of it.
Any info would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks!

nyer1

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 1:05 pm
What kind of setting do u work in? Can u just ask your employer and see what they say before u begin researching laws ? Chances are your boss will tell u it isn't an issue

busydev

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 1:07 pm
yes there is no law if the business is under 50 employees. this goes for maternity leave as well. (also you need to have worked there for a certain amount of time- which doesnt pertain to you since you have been there 3 or more years- but may pertain to others)

arrange it with your boss and ignore your other co-workers. if your boss let last time there is no reason that you should not be allowed this time. some people do go above and beyond the law. I worked in 2 places while pumping. one has under 50 employees and let me take daily breaks as needed (esp since I usually was there late either way) and the other which has more then 50 employees let me go home (2 min away) which was easier for me then lugging the pump and hogging the bathroom.

calaflower

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 1:27 pm
I work in a large doctors office..we are almost 50 employees..I did ask the office manager about a private place for pumping, she said I could use one of the offices of a doctor who's still on leave, but some employees use it for lunch daily, so I should"share" ..the problems I see with this is not everyone takes lunch at the same time, so this room could be"taken" from about 11:30 - 2pm
I know my bosses aren't thrilled about me taking these"pumping breaks", I'm just afraid that if things get really busy, they may pull the plug on allowing me to pump..however, if I had a law backing me up, it would be less worrisome

wtvr

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 1:48 pm
I think some of the laws may be state specific, but here's a link to NY http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/do.....s.pdf

Call your local WIC office. They should have info. We have cards that we hand out with the laws stated one them. If you're in NY, I can mail you one.

calaflower

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 1:49 pm
Thanks for the link, and it's a great idea to contact WIC...I'm in nj

bbmom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 2:07 pm
In my office there's a family bathroom with a lock besides for the regular bathroom. I keep Clorox wipes in my bag and clean the area around me and I have a mat that I put all my pumping equipment on so it doesn't touch the floor. Then I sit on the floor and pump. It's the only place in my place of work (that I have access to) that has a lock that can't be opened by the regular employee keycard
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more