Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Real food ideas for a business trip
1  2  Next

Chanie

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 9:32 pm
My husband has to go on an overnight business trip in a place where the closest kosher restaurant is an hour drive without traffic (yes, we called the closest Chabad house). I remember once (a few years ago) having packaged double wrapped food being delivered to us at a hotel (also at a business related event), does anyone know of any companies that do that?
Also any other ideas of how to eat normally, so far from home, would be appreciated.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 9:50 pm
Chanie wrote:
My husband has to go on an overnight business trip in a place where the closest kosher restaurant is an hour drive without traffic (yes, we called the closest Chabad house). I remember once (a few years ago) having packaged double wrapped food being delivered to us at a hotel (also at a business related event), does anyone know of any companies that do that?
Also any other ideas of how to eat normally, so far from home, would be appreciated.

My dh has been at a bunch of conferences lately. Ask the hotel that he's going to, a lot of them have experience. Or, call the place that's an hour away, maybe they have experience with catering.

mom2be1

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 9:54 pm
Where are you located? Noas ark provides nice double wrapped meals

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 9:55 pm
vacuum packed smoked turkey breast

cans of tuna

peanut butter

hard cheeses
yogurts

nuts and fruit or granola bars

bread / crackers

and of course a cooler

all these things travel well and if unopened stay longer

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 10:16 pm
My husband takes a whole salami (hard) a loaf of bread & a container of mustard (if he's checking a bag, otherwise we try to find packets)

Chanie

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 10:16 pm
Thanks everyone for ur response.
I doubt the place an hour away will deliver for one meal.
About traveling with all those extras, especial a cooler, he will be flying there and can't exactly schlep tons. He also would like real foods. I thought of the la briute meals. Has anyone ever eaten them? Do they taste fairly decent. (Although I don't know if they sell it at my local stores, but I can check)

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 10:19 pm
Chanie wrote:
About traveling with all those extras, especial a cooler, he will be flying there and can't exactly schlep tons. He also would like real foods. I thought of the la briute meals. Has anyone ever eaten them? Do they taste fairly decent. (Although I don't know if they sell it at my local stores, but I can check)

They are not horrible. some are actually good. If they still make the (dairy) ravioli, that was always a favorite.
Hard salami does not need refrigeration.

Sherri

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 10:21 pm
Doesn't Meal Mart make some form of travel meal, too?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 10:38 pm
so skip the cooler
switch the cans of tuna for pouches
turkey breast is good protein
and the rest you buy there

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 10:56 pm
If he will have access to a kitchen, and will be up to cooking then he can take along a pan/pot, get food at the local store (ie eggs, potatoes, other fruits and veggies, and anything else that he will find there) and just cook the food himself.

Chanie

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
so skip the cooler
switch the cans of tuna for pouches
turkey breast is good protein
and the rest you buy there

He's going for a day of business meetings. I don't know how much time he'd have to actually go shopping there. Looking for complete meal ideas, so that he doesn't have to prep really. But thanks for the idea.

Chanie

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
Chanie wrote:

They are not horrible. some are actually good. If they still make the (dairy) ravioli, that was always a favorite.
Hard salami does not need refrigeration.

My husband doesn't eat dairy, so that's one flavor I won't be buying him.....

Chanie

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 8:57 am
Sherri wrote:
Doesn't Meal Mart make some form of travel meal, too?

Thanks, I'm trying to look into those too... Does anyone know how these are heated up? The la bruite are self warming. Are the meal mart ones double wrapped that they can be put into a trief microwave or can they be heated up in hot water (like they do on cruises)?

Chanie

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 8:59 am
amother wrote:
If he will have access to a kitchen, and will be up to cooking then he can take along a pan/pot, get food at the local store (ie eggs, potatoes, other fruits and veggies, and anything else that he will find there) and just cook the food himself.

He's ganna be staying at a hotel. I doubt he will have a kitchenette there and besides as I said before, I don't think he'll have much time to shop for ingredients. He cannot schlep pots with him (he's flying).

spinkles

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 10:24 am
Meal Mart Amazing Meals are I think triple-wrapped so he can use the hotel microwave. I like the rib steak and the chicken on the bone one. My dh didn't like the turkey shwarma and some kind of chicken meatball one. I think he said the salmon was pretty good. You should probably have dh sample one before sending him off with them as his only food.

You said it's just an overnight trip, though. He doesn't need a ton of food. I would probably just send him with rolls, pouches of tuna, and those little packets of mayo, pickle relish, salt, and pepper, so he can quickly mix up some tuna salad and have nice filling sandwiches. He could also bring crackers and those little individual containers of peanut butter--another quick and easy protein. He can probably find stuff to eat at the hotel breakfast--usually some of the individual-serving cereals are kosher, and they usually have apples and bananas. If he's the kind who really appreciates hot food, you could send him with a small electric kettle and some of the cup-of-soup things. They have couscous cups and asian noodle cups too nowadays. They're not exactly health food though. You could also buy the Near East couscous mixes and have dh put them into a container with boiling water and cover airtight for about 10 minutes. That's a healthier option but maybe too much of a hassle for your dh.

Frenchfry

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 10:57 am
The meal mart meals are double wrapped (box over sealed plastic container) and can be microwaved. I like the stuffed cabbage one. They taste remarkably good, for "on the go" meals.

Barbara

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 11:22 am
mom2be1 wrote:
Where are you located? Noas ark provides nice double wrapped meals

It's pricey, but we've been happy with them:

http://www.noahsark.net/noahsc.....id=23

skcomputer

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 11:56 am
I travel all over the country for work. If a kosher restaurant is only an hour away, I would definitely drive there for dinner after a day of meetings. If I can get a fridge in my hotel room, I would also buy food there for subsequent days (sandwiches, wraps). If I am no where near a kosher restaurant, my second choice is to drive to a supermarket and buy food (hummus and pita, packaged bagels, lox). Herring in cream sauce is everywhere and is one of my favorite business trip treats. If there is no supermarket that I will have access to, I have brought La Bruite meals (that are self heating) and I thought they were pretty good, especially when no other food is around. I also have brought hard salami and processed triangle cheese which I was told can be out of the fridge for a week.

hbf

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 12:19 pm
my dh and I go to Poland and Spain and buy in the supermarket smoked salmon, we also bring cup soups (pot noodles) with us and Salami from home

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 12:26 pm
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tasty Bite Indian food yet. That is what my DH always takes on business trips. You can heat them by boiling the bag or bringing a microwave container. They have rice and all kinds of dishes, some dairy, some pareve. Trader Joe's sells them, as do many other markets.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics