Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chizzuk needed-Baby having Heart Surgery

amother

Post Mon, Feb 25 2013, 8:30 pm
My 6 month old baby will be undergoing an open heart surgery to repair a hole in her heart and I am out of my mind with worry. Please share chizzuk and positive experiences. I don't know how I will get through this with my faculties intact. As it is I am nervous and worried. I hold her all day, hugging and kissing her. How will I just let go of her to allow the, to do what they need to? It's so frightening!

forever21

Post Mon, Feb 25 2013, 8:36 pm
you can pm me. I have a friend whos child had a few heart surgeries and I can give you her contact info.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 25 2013, 8:38 pm
Yaametz Libechu
For families and parents of children with congenital heart defects. Library, parent networking,
medical advice, helpline, newsletters, referrals and adult chapter.
Call: (718) 486-2895 or (718) 501-7537

amother because this was used as bait to figure out my username once before

curlyhead

Post Mon, Feb 25 2013, 8:40 pm
My son had open heart surgery when he was a toddler for a hole and problem with the valve. B"h he is healthy and well now. Goes for check ups twice a year. Was in hospital for 5 days. Pm me for more details.

sneakermom

Post Mon, Feb 25 2013, 9:13 pm
If you feel comfortable you can post her tehillim name and we will pray for her. Wishing you hatzlacha and an easy recovery!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 9:50 am
As someone whose child had heart surgery at 1 week old (and is now B"H almost 15 years old), I'd like to point out a few things. I hope I don't sound condescending at all - I am only trying to help!

First and foremost, please be aware and grateful that you are living in the times that you are. Thanks to HKB"H, the advances in medicine are totally amazing and although it seems terrifying to you now, it is a fairly routine surgery for the doctors.

Secondly, as difficult as it may be for you, just realize that your child will have no recollection of these events - and that's good! It will stay with you and your husband forever - and you will at some point need to explain to your child what happened, but they will walk away without the trauma of remembering what happened. That's something to be grateful for as well!

Lastly, just have faith in HKB"H that the problem was detected by his shlichim and that this is a correctable problem. Unfortunately there are so many other issues for which there is no cure.

I wish you much hatzlacha through this difficult time.

kb

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 10:29 am
You can pm me. My son had heart surgery at 6 weeks and is perfectly fine today. I'd love to help you in any way I can.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 10:29 am
Maybe you shouldn't go to the hospital and let your dh be the one to go. My dd had to get general anesthesia and I just stayed home because I knew I'd be a complete mess if I went. If you post the baby's name we will all be davening for her.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 11:09 am
Hatzlacha! I went thru this myself at the age of 4. Do not send your husband please be there for your child. Although bH your baby is young and won't remember you still want to make sure that your baby does not feel abandoned. Make sure to do lots of cuddling before and after and tell your child that he is safe, this will balance out any trauma. BH they have great procedures today and please Hashem your child will lead a beautiful life!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 11:18 am
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am grateful that we are able to do something and correct her issue, however the thought of her going through surgery scares me (not that I think she will be scarred emotionally but I know I will). She is so small and so precious to me that the thought of her having to go through an open heart surgery is frightening. I held my fathers hand and was there for him when he had a quadruple bypass surgery and this is not the same. I feel so helpless here. I know I can turn to Hashem and I am, but the fear won't leave me. And for the amother who suggested staying home-that is simply not an option, as the hospital is out of town for us and I would never relax for even a second knowing that I left her alone. If anyone wants to reach out to me anonymously I have an email address speakinghearttoheart@gmail.com Thanks to all.

racz

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 11:56 am
My son was born with a very rare heart condition, he had a right ventrical fistual - he had oxygenated blood pumping thru his heart, it was discovered after when he was 12 hours old, the cardiologist had never seen it, could explain but didn't know survival rate etc. B'h we were transfered to Hopkins, the surgeon that did his coil catherization had only seen 4 other cases. He is one in million (in many ways).
He had a coil catherization at 11 1/2 months. B'h he is a generally healthy active 15 year old. We make a seudas Hodah every year and since he is in 3rd grade he has made a siyum himself in yeshiva.

I echo what the other mother said, being younger is harder on you but not the child. my son was back to himself a week after surgery (not open heart).
also, if he would have been born in the 70s or 80s he would have needed open heart surgery, b'h for modern day medicine.

Please post what city you are in, if any of us are from there who can be there for you.

Also, reach out to the local Bikur cholim so you have a hand to hold. Our Cardiologist (not from Hopkins) is a frum lady, who came for the surgery but she was there for us, That Hug that extra reassurance helped.

Please PM me if I can help
Please post the name so we can all daven.

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 12:03 pm
If by any chance you are in Boston ( people come here to Children's frequently with stories like this), please feel free to pm me for some IRL support.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 12:16 pm
My newborn also had open heart surgery at 6 days old. It is terrifying, and it was the worst day of my life but B"H I really felt I could see a miracle in front of my eyes and how many people have that z'chut. I saw him go from so sick to so well BH BH BH. His pulmonary veins had to be reattached where they belonged, and he also had a hole in the heart closed. You are welcome to contact me either here or on e-mail (rachgroups at gmail) if you want anything. We were just there, still think of it every day, but BH we got through it and IY"H you and your baby will too.

akc

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 1:36 pm
I had open heart surgery at 3 weeks of age. The first surgery of it's kind at the time. BH I am now expecting my 5th child and doing well.

Refuah Shleima, my thoughts are with you. Please keep us posted on the recovery of your child.

calaflower

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 1:51 pm
As someone who works deals with this, this seems to be a "routine"surgery for pediatric cardiologists...I know it may not be that comforting, but it's done all the time on babies, and Im Yirtzeh Hashem she will recover beautifully! Her only knowledge of it will apply when filling out the medical history section on forms at the doctor....of course, it's so difficult when our children have to go through these things, so hug, kiss her, look into her beautiful eyes and talk to her as much as you can, and KNOW that Hashem is watching over all of you and will guide the doctor's hands.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 9:01 pm
so now we have a setback because my baby got sick and I don't know if they will allow us to go ahead with surgery as planned. I am so overwhelmed Sad

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 9:04 pm
Hugs! Ask the doctor to tell you what their Plan B is. Surely they have one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics