Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Getting out of the house with 18 month old twins
Previous  1  2

tikva18

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 2:38 pm
ntm1 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
May I ask where you live?
My twin boys are just about the same age so I recognize your story Smile
This is what I do- Take them in stroller to the park. If they are both in the same area, fine. If one starts wandering off, then I just hold one and follow/watch the other until they start playing in the same area again. When it gets hard and exhausting, we go in the swings. I stretch that time by pointing out the birds, balls and children around us. Then is snack in the stroller Smile. If I still have more time to kill I'll let them run around a bit more.
I also feel like I'm the only one actually home with my kiddies... What other things do you do with them at home? I need more ideas for playing at home!
Good luck! I know it's fun, it's hard, but try to enoy!

I live in flatbush and im actually having a really hard time now keeping them busy at home- they're not realy interested these days in playing with their toys so I tried playing with blocks with them and letting them color but they sort of have no interest. So I'm sort of looking for some ideas also. We go out every single day ( to let time pass)for a walk to anywhere- grocery, target, neighborhood but they want to come out of the stroller.

like some1 mentioned taking 1 out at a time from the stroller and letting them hold on wont work. THEY DO EVERYTHING TOGETHER- and it will never happen- theyre also very active and wnvr I walk with my dh and the kids they run so fast and try going into the gutter- its really scary.

We have steps in our hallway and were constantly showing them how do go down but they literally have no concept- if I wasnt behind them all the time they'd b in bad shape- they got a lot of learning to do.
It's also very hard to teach 2 kids at once how to climb down the stairs- none of them want to stay alone while I'm helping the other one down-so I end up just carrying them down the stairs together- I figured all kids learn eventually.

I'm usually on my own with no1 to help me out since my dh is in school fulltime.

I hear you. I was also usually on my own. You can do it. How's their comprehension? you should be able to tell them - and although they won't always listen - you should have the upper arm in things. It is possible to take them out without a stroller - I know I did it.

tikva18

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 2:39 pm
ntm1 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
May I ask where you live?
My twin boys are just about the same age so I recognize your story Smile
This is what I do- Take them in stroller to the park. If they are both in the same area, fine. If one starts wandering off, then I just hold one and follow/watch the other until they start playing in the same area again. When it gets hard and exhausting, we go in the swings. I stretch that time by pointing out the birds, balls and children around us. Then is snack in the stroller Smile. If I still have more time to kill I'll let them run around a bit more.
I also feel like I'm the only one actually home with my kiddies... What other things do you do with them at home? I need more ideas for playing at home!
Good luck! I know it's fun, it's hard, but try to enoy!

I live in flatbush and im actually having a really hard time now keeping them busy at home- they're not realy interested these days in playing with their toys so I tried playing with blocks with them and letting them color but they sort of have no interest. So I'm sort of looking for some ideas also. We go out every single day ( to let time pass)for a walk to anywhere- grocery, target, neighborhood but they want to come out of the stroller.

like some1 mentioned taking 1 out at a time from the stroller and letting them hold on wont work. THEY DO EVERYTHING TOGETHER- and it will never happen- theyre also very active and wnvr I walk with my dh and the kids they run so fast and try going into the gutter- its really scary.

We have steps in our hallway and were constantly showing them how do go down but they literally have no concept- if I wasnt behind them all the time they'd b in bad shape- they got a lot of learning to do.
It's also very hard to teach 2 kids at once how to climb down the stairs- none of them want to stay alone while I'm helping the other one down-so I end up just carrying them down the stairs together- I figured all kids learn eventually.

I'm usually on my own with no1 to help me out since my dh is in school fulltime.

I hear you. I was also usually on my own. You can do it. How's their comprehension? you should be able to tell them - and although they won't always listen - you should have the upper arm in things. It is possible to take them out without a stroller - I know I did it.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:06 pm
When my twins were that age I did not take them to the park much myself, unless it was small and closed off. if you have a backyard or family with a backyard I would go there. take them on long walks in the stroller, fresh air is good no matter what - I used to do that ALL the time. Also take them to activities - the mall for a walk, sign up for mommy and me's, see if your library has a free one, I found classes like that helped a lot when my twins were young, so we got out and they had fun.

Jacoby

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 1:43 pm
I totally hear you about being hard to stay home. Were in a similar stage here and it's really hard! They are beginning to climb the walls and be bored at home, but going out all day is just very hard for me...

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 10:26 pm
I've also been having lots of trouble finding activities that I can do alone with my 17 month old twins. I can't go t the park b/c they go in different directions and run in front of the swings, and want to climb, but don't have the sense to not fall!
Thankfully, we have a fenced in backyard, but it's still hard because they like to eat dirt, and they manage to find any dangerous place in sight.
They're not going to hold my hands! All they want to do is run away from me and fall down stairs, break things, bite people, throw tantrums, etc.
I'm thinking of getting a mothers helper to go with me on outings b/c it's impossible to go out alone with the twins.
The best thing we do is go to the gym b/c they have babysitting there.

notme

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:38 pm
Thank you for posting this! I have the same issue and I was beginning to feel incompetent. Now I see this is a normal problem for twin moms!

You could try signing up for a music class. Maybe you could hire a girl to help you take them to the park?

notme

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:44 pm
One more thing. At home I have some flash cards with different pictures. They are out of the children's reach and once a day we take them down. I give them the cards to hold and I make up songs (based on the pictures). Then they clean them up. They love doing this. Also sometimes I blow bubbles for them or dance with them.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more