Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Can I put a roast in my crockpot for Shabbos lunch?

tsrbalt

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 12:23 pm
Has anyone ever tried putting a roast in the crockpot for Shabbos lunch? I'm afraid it will dry out or get tough. It's a 2 and 1/2 inch thick boneless chuck roast, about 3 lbs. Should I cook it first and then put it in on low before Shabbos?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:01 pm
I've never done this, but I think it should work. Chuck tends to be a fatty meat good for low/slow cooking. Be sure to have plenty of cooking liquid, and no, don't cook it before Shabbos: 16 hours (From candlelighting till lunch) should be plenty! I might be worried about it overcooking, and being too soft, but I guess the only downside to that would be that it will be difficult to cut (since meat should be sliced cold (for the nicest, cleanest slices) you may not be able to cut it at all, you may have to sort of 'shred' it Let us know how it turns out!

bamamama

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:05 pm
superdanni wrote:
I've never done this, but I think it should work. Chuck tends to be a fatty meat good for low/slow cooking. Be sure to have plenty of cooking liquid, and no, don't cook it before Shabbos: 16 hours (From candlelighting till lunch) should be plenty! I might be worried about it overcooking, and being too soft, but I guess the only downside to that would be that it will be difficult to cut (since meat should be sliced cold (for the nicest, cleanest slices) you may not be able to cut it at all, you may have to sort of 'shred' it Let us know how it turns out!

I'm also interested in the answer to the roast-crockpot question....

Kashrus question: I was taught that all your food had to be minimally cooked before Shabbos started - wouldn't starting at candlelighting not fulfill this? Or am I a victim of being taught a chumra instead of tachlis halacha? Still trying to sort the wheat from the chaff...

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:07 pm
bamamama wrote:
superdanni wrote:

Kashrus question: I was taught that all your food had to be minimally cooked before Shabbos started - wouldn't starting at candlelighting not fulfill this? Or am I a victim of being taught a chumra instead of tachlis halacha? Still trying to sort the wheat from the chaff...

It either has to be completely raw (not available to eat Fri nt) or (1/3-2/3 cooked depending on your Rav)

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:09 pm
bamamama wrote:
superdanni wrote:

you are completely right. my bad. thanks for pointing this out (honestly, it's not something that really pertains to me because we don't eat much for shabbos lunch. Haven't made a chulent in years! (We eat that stuff at shul kiddush, and then just eat cold salads etc later in the day) When I make a roast I brown it on all sides (before putting it in the oven) which imparts really nice color and flavor. I bet if you do that (brown it) and then put it on high for a a little bit (2 hours before shabbos?) then switich it to low you should be ok.

bamamama

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:16 pm
superdanni wrote:
bamamama wrote:
superdanni wrote:

you are completely right. my bad. thanks for pointing this out (honestly, it's not something that really pertains to me because we don't eat much for shabbos lunch. Haven't made a chulent in years! (We eat that stuff at shul kiddush, and then just eat cold salads etc later in the day) When I make a roast I brown it on all sides (before putting it in the oven) which imparts really nice color and flavor. I bet if you do that (brown it) and then put it on high for a a little bit (2 hours before shabbos?) then switich it to low you should be ok.

FTR, superdanni, I wasn't trying to chastise you in the least!!! Flower I was just curious - it would seem that it's chumra from Mimisinger's response.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:20 pm
bamamama wrote:
superdanni wrote:
bamamama wrote:
superdanni wrote:

FTR, superdanni, I wasn't trying to chastise you in the least!!! Flower I was just curious - it would seem that it's chumra from Mimisinger's response.

no worries at all! glad to be able to give OP a more comprehensive answer (I was just thinking of the feasibility (in terms of taste and quality) rather than kashrus)

m in Israel

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:24 pm
It's not chumrah -- it has to do with the issur of "shehiyah" -- leaving things to cook on Shabbos. The halacha is the food must be EITHER completely raw OR at least "k'ma'achal ben dursai" -- which is defined as 1/2 way cooked (or according to some 1/3 is enough). If it is partially cooked, but has not yet reached maachal ben dursai you cannot leave it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics