Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO Mashed potato recipe?

SS6099

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 12:10 pm
Can someone give me an exact recipe for mashed potatoes? I'm making it for someone for supper tonight, upon request, and I'm not quite sure how to do it since my family doesn't go for it.
Thanks.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 3:32 pm
This should yield enough as sides for about 6 people.

Wash and peel 1kg potatoes (regular starchy/floury ones, NOT new/baby potatoes meant for salads),
cut into quarters or 1/8th depending on the size. Place in a pot and cover with water. Add 1teasp salt
and boil till it's cooked but before it gets mushy. (You can check with a skewer--turn off heat once it
goes through easily without resistence).

Drain well in collander, then put potatoes back in the pot. Mash with a potato masher (easier and gives
better consistency than a fork, but in a pinch a fork will do). Do NOT use blender unless you want gluey bloop. Add generous butter/margarine/olive oil, milk/soya milk, and season with salt and white pepper to taste.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 4:00 pm
I like Yukon Gold potatoes best for mashed potatoes.

Save some of the potato cooking water to thin the potatoes after you mash them so you don't have to use so much fat.

If you want to be a little fancy, you can add roasted garlic (mashed first) or sauteed onions and mushrooms.

forever21

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 5:32 pm
Its better not to drain all the water. You should still have water in the pot when you mash it. It tastes better when its a bit creamy (in my opinion).

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 5:48 pm
Best mashed potatoes ever:
Boil potatoes till they can be pierced with a fork. Drain.
Fry onions in a lot of oil till golden brown.
Mash potatoes (I use a fork), add onions, salt, and more oil if necessary.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 5:59 pm
If you don't mind extra step, you can add pureed parsnip or celeriac. Both vegetables take longer to cook than potatoes and you can't mash them with masher/fork (you'll need a blender, handheld is fine). It adds lovely sweetness.

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:20 pm
I like to use a hand mixer to make them fluffy. I also add sour cream and sautéed onions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes