Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Rising again and again and again...

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:06 pm
I got this new heaven recipe but ur supposed to let it rise once after kneading, punch it down, let it rise again and then let it rise after theyve been shaped.
what is the purpose of rising dough and why would it need 3 rising, it seems extraneous to me, not to mention a pain......
any insight from the pros would help...
can I skip one?
what would be the difference......

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:09 pm
I just let it rise once and shape then rise again. I have like a nut w/o any time shaped them right away and it's worked too. But I prefer 2x - never 3.

MOM222

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:15 pm
I do 3 x. However when I am rushed I do 2 and its just as good.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 1:00 am
When making bread, more than any other type of baking, it's a lot more chemistry than you'd ever think.

The yeast needs time to do it's thing with the sugar, the gluten needs time to do it's thing, there's air that has to work... it's a process.

The more rising time, the lighter the dough will get.

I have a half and half recipe, which uses a kilo of whole wheat flour and a kilo of bleached white flour. It calls for the 3 risings and I find that when I only do 2, the bread is heavier.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 9:59 am
la456 wrote:
I got this new heaven recipe but ur supposed to let it rise once after kneading, punch it down, let it rise again and then let it rise after theyve been shaped.
what is the purpose of rising dough and why would it need 3 rising, it seems extraneous to me, not to mention a pain......
any insight from the pros would help...
can I skip one?
what would be the difference......

The 3 risings make a nice airy dough, but some people like their dough heavier so it's really a matter of taste. I let mine rise twice. Once in the machine, and once after I shape it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads