Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning a shabos kettle

shmuf

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 10:43 am
anyone have any experience cleaning avnit/scale off of a shabos kettle?in the regular kettle we boil vineagar, but that then means u have to boil it a few times with water again before u can use it for drinking...tia!

etky

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 10:53 am
shmuf wrote:
anyone have any experience cleaning avnit/scale off of a shabos kettle?in the regular kettle we boil vineagar, but that then means u have to boil it a few times with water again before u can use it for drinking...tia!

That's what I use for the Shabbat kettle too. I try to avoid the chemical stuff. I boil it up once w/ clean water after the vinegar (I know, it takes forever) and then rinse it out several times. No vinegary aftertaste.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:23 pm
just make sure to let some water run through the spout ... I add vinegar and baking soda ... then I scrub the inside after I pour it out before running fresh water through and reboiling ... I wouldn't really call it a waste either because it's a good drain cleaner as well

shmuf

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:47 pm
Brill thanks.was just worried I'd have to boil it like 10times after the vinegar to get rid of the taste!

sped

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 1:02 pm
etky wrote:
shmuf wrote:

That's what I use for the Shabbat kettle too. I try to avoid the chemical stuff. I boil it up once w/ clean water after the vinegar (I know, it takes forever) and then rinse it out several times. No vinegary aftertaste.

I used to do that, but now I simply rinse it out a bit and it is fine.

etky

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 1:11 pm
sped wrote:
etky wrote:
shmuf wrote:

I used to do that, but now I simply rinse it out a bit and it is fine.

Really?? My kettle periodically 'decides' that there is too much limescale in it and cuts out when I'm boiling up the water (inevitably right before Shabbat...). Then I know it's time to descale again. As the kettle ages (I've been through quite a few) this happens with greater frequency. I descale my regular weekday kettle much more regularly, like every 10 days or so. It's incredible how quickly the limescale builds up, at least in this part of the country. We have very hard water here in the Gush.

Sanguine

Post Sat, Jun 22 2013, 2:56 pm
Hi - I live in Israel where the water is very hard so everything needs constant cleaning - we use lemon salt (is that an American item?) - you just boil it up and eerything comes off. The taste washes off easier than vineger

etky

Post Sat, Jun 22 2013, 3:40 pm
How much lemon salt do you use? I have some in the house that I use for cooking. I bet it smells better than the vinegar too Smile

Sanguine

Post Sat, Jun 22 2013, 4:02 pm
Hi - I was surprised that someone wrote something now (Shabbat in America) - but I see you're in Israel too

make the water warm (not boiling) - for a kumkum (2 quarts/liters) pour in 3 tablespoons - It will sizzle
for an urn - depends how high you need - You may have a 40 cup urn (10 quart) but don't really fill it so the avnit isn't that high

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Jun 22 2013, 4:09 pm
michalk, there is an entire israel forum here (many posters from israel - welcome)
I have used melech limon a few times and it literally broke my urns.
I only use vinegar now and just boil plain water again after the vinegar. And it tastes fine.

Zus

Post Sat, Jun 22 2013, 5:44 pm
I also never taste the vinegar after cleaning my kettles.

Zus

Post Sat, Jun 22 2013, 6:17 pm
greenfire wrote:
just make sure to let some water run through the spout ... I add vinegar and baking soda ... then I scrub the inside after I pour it out before running fresh water through and reboiling ... I wouldn't really call it a waste either because it's a good drain cleaner as well

I think you should leave out the baking soda for a better effect. You want the vinegar to react with the limescale to get rid of it. Now you're letting it react with the baking soda instead. You need much more vinegar this way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry