Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
How do you handle pet emergencies on Shabbos?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 8:38 pm
I want to get a dog but I'm wondering what people do if their pet becomes seriously injured or ill on Shabbos?

Has anyone dealt with this issue?

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 8:46 pm
wow - how do you think so far ahead ...

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:25 pm
I've had dogs my whole life, and they've had the good sense to not get ill on Shabbos!

The only example I could think of, is if you know your dog is very old, and going downhill fast, make the decision to put him to sleep before Shabbos, in case he has a severe decline when you can't put him out of his misery.

If you give your pet good preventative medicine, don't let them run into a busy street, and are aware of any existing medical issues, you should be just fine.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:31 pm
One of my parents dogs cut himself one shabbos afternoon. The cut was pretty deep but it wasnt bleeding enough that they felt they could have one of the nonjewish neighbors call the local pet hospital for them. It was a pretty stressful shabbos for my parents, but the dog didnt seem to notice the cut so that made the difference. If the dog had been whimpering in pain they would have had a neighbor call.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 8:23 am
amother wrote:
One of my parents dogs cut himself one shabbos afternoon. The cut was pretty deep but it wasnt bleeding enough that they felt they could have one of the nonjewish neighbors call the local pet hospital for them. It was a pretty stressful shabbos for my parents, but the dog didnt seem to notice the cut so that made the difference. If the dog had been whimpering in pain they would have had a neighbor call.

which is permitted, alieviating (sp?) the suffering of a pet

amother

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 8:33 am
a very good question!

a non Jewish neighbor available to handle emergencies who is easily reachable by foot and agrees to this responsibility any time of day or night on Shabbos and Yomtov.

The halacha does not allow for calls, driving, etc as it does for people. Even if the situation is pet threatening so it is very good to know this and be prepared for it if you are thinking of becoming a pet owner.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets