Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Nice gift, nasty comment

amother

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 8:21 pm
My aunt got me a nice birthday gift- a lovely blouse. I am due very soon and it's a regular blouse, so obviously I won't be able to wear it for awhile. I told her it was beautiful and I can't wait to be able to wear it. Her response was "I know, it'll be incentive to get the weight off. You remember how long it took last time..." It took me a bit under a year to lose the baby weight last time, and I'm not ashamed of that- after all, it takes nearly a year to put it on. I appreciate the gift, but the comment really stung. Now I don't like the blouse so much anymore...

shlomitsmum

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
My aunt got me a nice birthday gift- a lovely blouse. I am due very soon and it's a regular blouse, so obviously I won't be able to wear it for awhile. I told her it was beautiful and I can't wait to be able to wear it. Her response was "I know, it'll be incentive to get the weight off. You remember how long it took last time..." It took me a bit under a year to lose the baby weight last time, and I'm not ashamed of that- after all, it takes nearly a year to put it on. I appreciate the gift, but the comment really stung. Now I don't like the blouse so much anymore...

OMG!! what a zinger shock ...ignore the stupidity and tell her a pair of manolo heels would be even more motivating Twisted Evil .

people say stupid things to pregnant women and you lost weight in the most responsible way . ensuring your body got a break and that no toxins were released in your breast milk from dieting ,she is ignorant. Hug

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 9:33 pm
different metabolisms ... maybe well meaning - but I would have told her to hang onto the blouse as she may get better use it in the interim

groisamomma

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 10:09 pm
Good answer greenfire, I would have loved to see that.

Seriously, OP, my MIL says things like that when she gives gifts. She thinks she's helpful and I'll lose weight because she ahem, hinted at it.

No advice but I can see where you'd like the blouse less now. Exploding anger

Blue jay

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 10:50 pm
Is your aunt "for real?" Gosh, only somebody with her own insecurities would make a comment like that. Just wave this one off, Sheesh your aunt is a character and a half! She should do stand-up ...

Put the shirt in the back of your closet somewhere. Laugh it off and wear it someday. Why waste a nice shirt?

offcentral

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 12:18 pm
Boy, I can see where you attach a bad feeling to a shirt : (

I would probably also stick it somewhere and then when you are able to fit into it, those bad feelings will hopefully be history and you'll find it and think "Ooh - a new shirt I can wear!"

amother

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 12:39 pm
My MIL bought me a new shaitel "so that I have at least one good shaitel." At that point, I had two expensive custom wigs which were all nicely styled and well taken care of. So I understand how you feel. I still think about that comment every time I wear her shaitel and it's been over six years.

I would tell you to ignore it and just enjoy the blouse, but I know that's easier said than done. Hopefully with time it'll hurt less and you'll enjoy wearing something pretty.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, Aug 23 2013, 12:40 pm
Sounds like someone with a case of foot in mouth syndrome or no social graces. Try and ignore her. Hugs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette