Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Yet another roast recipe request

goodmorning

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 12:26 pm
The family recipe for roast calls for it to be rubbed with spices and ketchup and surrounded by onions and about 5 lbs+ of potatoes (also spiced and ketchupped) and cooked at 350 for about 3 hours, turned once. The potatoes come out delicious, having soaked up all of the meat juices, but the meat itself is often dry.

I've read the recent roast recipe suggestions, but none of them call for potatoes, and if I'd get rid of the roast potatoes, there'd be a family mutiny. (Potatoes cooked separately and served with gravy would not cut it!). Any ideas for a juicy roast AND delectable potatoes?

yogabird

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 3:35 pm
Why don't you find another roast recipe where the meat is cooked or baked in a lot of liquid (wine and beer are especially good, because the alcohol is supposed to soften the protein fibers. or something like that. but I'll bet you knew that already Wink ) and then just add the potatoes for the last hour or so?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 3:50 pm
350F for 3 hours sound a bit on long side for cooking time. I suspect that's the main reason why the chicken comes out dry. Can you parboil potatoes for 5min or so before baking with the chicken? I usually parboil then roast potatoes and they come out nice and crispy.

Alternatively, keep on basting at regular intervals (though I'm not sure how much juice you accumulate if it's soaked up in potatoes). Or you can also put the stuffing between the skin and the meat to retain moistness.

goodmorning

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 3:55 pm
Thanks for the help.

yogabird: the potatoes tastes so good because of the long cooking process. Cutting it down to 1/3 would lose the whole point.
(We use wine on Pesach instead of ketchup and I've never noticed a difference.)

Mrs. Bissli: I'm referring to meat (brisket or some such), sorry for not being clear. Does that still seem so long?
(And to make it more difficult, the brisket is cooked on Erev Yom Tov for eating on YT, so not after crispy. But that probably contributes to the meat's dryness, because it's warmed up and most of its juices have seeped into the potatoes.)

oliveoil

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 4:00 pm
Do you let the meat rest before cutting it?

goodmorning

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 4:00 pm
Yes. (No choice, I'm awful at slicing meat. Smile)

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 5:30 pm
Make the same recipe in the crockpot with an added cup of water, high for six hours.

Barbara

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 5:34 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Make the same recipe in the crockpot with an added cup of water, high for six hours.

Or cook it just the way you do it, making sure its tightly covered, but adding a couple of cups of water.

goodmorning

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 5:42 pm
Won't that give it a boiled taste?

lakewood mom

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 9:50 pm
try rubbing the meat with oil as well. Oil tends to "lock in" the moisture...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 11:12 pm
I would bake the potatoes separately, under a pile of chicken seasoned the same way as the roast.
Bake that pan for the same 3 hours you usually bake your roast for.
Serve the chicken for supper the night before YT/erev YT when we usually skip supper until the late seuda/when you bake it.

Just don't let anyone what you're doing Smile

(Extra water will just absorb the meat juices as well.)

goodmorning

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 11:29 pm
ra_mom, Smile

But potatoes cooked with chicken taste differently than potatoes cooked with meat. (They get a sort of cholenty flavor.) I think that the potato eaters of the family will be on to the deception.

Does nobody cook potatoes with their brisket? Are we really so unique? Or does the meat of everyone who does turn out succulent and delicious and therefore no one can advise?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 11:38 pm
goodmorning wrote:
ra_mom, Smile

But potatoes cooked with chicken taste differently than potatoes cooked with meat. (They get a sort of cholenty flavor.) I think that the potato eaters of the family will be on to the deception.

Does nobody cook potatoes with their brisket? Are we really so unique? Or does the meat of everyone who does turn out succulent and delicious and therefore no one can advise?
I agree that potatoes baked under meat will taste differently than potatoes under the chicken.
But... like you said, the meat does dry out.
I have a similar instance when I make 2 awesome chicken recipes in the crockpot. When I place whole baby potatoes underneath I end up with a one pot dinner which I can serve as soon as I get home. But then the chicken simply does not taste as good. Depending on how much pressure I am under, I usually just opt for making a separate quick side dish when I get home so that I end up with a more moist chicken.

Maybe if you prepare a totally new totally delicious potato recipe, they will be mollified Smile

Or... once the roast is done, bake the potatoes under some chicken, but add all the roast gravy to the pan as well so that the potatoes can really cook in it. (I don't know if you use your gravy to warm up the roast.)

Let us know what you do and how it turns out! Smile

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Aug 27 2013, 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

mommee

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 12:05 am
We also make a brisket with potatoes-yum!
This is the recipe that my mother made and I now make too Smile

I use a roaster/dutch oven type pan to do it in. First, I rub the brisked with paprika and LOTS of minced (food processor) garlic.   Then, I brown it on all sides.  Then, I open up some cans of potatoes (is that cheating? It tastes good after its cooked!) cut up some carrots (or just use baby carrots to save time!) and onions and put them all under the meat.  On top of the meat I put a jar of tomato sauce and a packet of onion soup mix.  It's cooked covered at 325.  Cool overnight, slice cold and reheat in the sauce.  Keep it submerged in the sauce for at least a day if you can.  It absorbs the taste and is tender-er from it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics