Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Recipe for making london broil like a roast?

mommyhood

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 1:54 pm
I have a london broil. I'm not interested in grilling or broiling it to make it like a steak I'd rather it come out more like a roast, cooked in a sauce on the stove or in the oven.
Anyone have a recipe for this or will that not work with this cut of meat?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 2:02 pm
I usually make this with a french roast or a brisket, but it was originally given to me as a recipe for a london broil roast.

6 lb. London Broil Roast
garlic powder or pieces of fresh garlic
large onion, sliced

Sauce:
1 c. ketchup
1 c. duck sauce
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. mustard
1/8 tsp. prepared horseradish

Put onions on bottom of pan. Season roast with garlic and place on top of onions.

Combine sauce ingredients and pour over meat. Cover tightly and roast for about 3 hours or until roast is soft.

Refrigerate roast. Slice when cool and return to pan juices. Reheat covered in pan juices.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 3:42 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I usually make this with a french roast or a brisket, but it was originally given to me as a recipe for a london broil roast.

6 lb. London Broil Roast
large onion, sliced

Sauce:
1 c. ketchup
1 c. duck sauce
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. mustard

Put onions on bottom of pan. Season roast with garlic and place on top of onions.

Combine sauce ingredients and pour over meat. Cover tightly and roast for about 3 hours or until roast is soft.

Refrigerate roast. Slice when cool and return to pan juices. Reheat covered in pan juices.

Is that dried mustard? And 1/8 tsp of horseradish seems like it wouldn't add any flavor, unless you mean something different than the regular jarred chrain.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 3:48 pm
mommyhood wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

6 lb. London Broil Roast
large onion, sliced

Sauce:
1 c. ketchup
1 c. duck sauce
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. mustard

Is that dried mustard? And 1/8 tsp of horseradish seems like it wouldn't add any flavor, unless you mean something different than the regular jarred chrain.

Prepared mustard and regular jarred purple chrain. I really don't know how much flavor they add (I have made the roast without one or the other and it was still great), but that's how I got the recipe, and how I usually make it.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 3:50 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
mommyhood wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

6 lb. London Broil Roast
large onion, sliced

Sauce:
1 c. ketchup
1 c. duck sauce
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. mustard

Prepared mustard and regular jarred purple chrain. I really don't know how much flavor they add (I have made the roast without one or the other and it was still great), but that's how I got the recipe, and how I usually make it.

Thanks, one more questions. What temp do you cook it 350?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 3:53 pm
mommyhood wrote:

Thanks, one more questions. What temp do you cook it 350?

I usually prefer to cook roasts at 325 for a little longer (or convection roast 300), but 350 works too. I'll vary depending if I need to have other things in the oven too. It's pretty flexible. If it isn't quite done enough when you slice it, it will cook more in the pan gravy.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 12:40 am
OOTBubby, do you slice and freeze, or do you make this right before YT and refrigerate?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 8:42 am
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby, do you slice and freeze, or do you make this right before YT and refrigerate?

For any roast cooked in a liquid, I first slice (after cooling), then freeze it in the liquid and reheat when serving.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 3:12 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

For any roast cooked in a liquid, I first slice (after cooling), then freeze it in the liquid and reheat when serving.
Tx!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics