Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Webermans victim
1  2  Next

sourstix

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 10:17 am
I feel so sorry for her. my only question is. why doesnt she move away to another place where she wont be so ridiculed. she knows the mentality there. cant fight it. I would just go to another neighborhood. anywhere else noone will ridicule her that way. we all are for her. what do you all say?

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 10:24 am
Because home is home, good or bad. Unless someone is directly coming to kill you, you don't want to move. And even then, often...

Remember the quote from the Declaration of Independence?
"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 10:27 am
But sometimes, better move. Even "just" if you don't fit in. For your own happiness.

Maya

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 10:36 am
I don't think they live in Williamsburg.

octopus

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 11:28 am
it sounds like she was at her parents for y't.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 11:46 am
also, I assume she and/or her husband works in the area. If they relocate, the would need to find new jobs.

carpediem

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 1:03 pm
I respect her for staying there. By moving she would telling the community that they accomplished what they are trying to do- beat her down and ostracize her until she 'disappears'. Staying there is her slapping them in the face.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 1:07 pm
carpediem wrote:
I respect her for staying there. By moving she would telling the community that they accomplished what they are trying to do- beat her down and ostracize her until she 'disappears'. Staying there is her slapping them in the face.

Thank you. I was trying to figure out how to put it, but couldnt find the right words

abound

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 1:14 pm
carpediem wrote:

sometimes it is better to be smart than right.

sourstix

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 2:48 pm
carpediem wrote:

listen I baruch hashem never suffered like this. so I dont know what I would do. but and here it goes. she won the case already and everyone knows the truth. for some of those satmar chasidim in williamsburg that disagree. okay. I wouldnt and I say this without experience. I would understand that she needs peace. also she already stepped up to the plate and did what was needed to be done. she isnt running anywhere. bec the abuse is over. he has no control over her. and thats what abused pp think. my experience tells me. that once the abuser is gone there is no abuse. even though you still suffer. and it takes many years to heal. so no hes not abusing her. and she isnt running away. its just giving her a fresh place to start. bec believe me anywhere she goes noone will treat her this way. only those sick pp in williamsburg.

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 3:32 pm
sourstix wrote:
carpediem wrote:

listen I baruch hashem never suffered like this. so I dont know what I would do. but and here it goes. she won the case already and everyone knows the truth. for some of those satmar chasidim in williamsburg that disagree. okay. I wouldnt and I say this without experience. I would understand that she needs peace. also she already stepped up to the plate and did what was needed to be done. she isnt running anywhere. bec the abuse is over. he has no control over her. and thats what abused pp think. my experience tells me. that once the abuser is gone there is no abuse. even though you still suffer. and it takes many years to heal. so no hes not abusing her. and she isnt running away. its just giving her a fresh place to start. bec believe me anywhere she goes noone will treat her this way. only those sick pp in williamsburg.

Not everyone knows the truth. I have heard from different people admissions only that Weberman was guilty of not following yichud. If he had followed halaha and had not been alone with her then he would not have been convicted.

Marina: If the community and its leaders are not willing to admit to anything more than yichud violations and they don't respect those outside their community, do you think your petition will be effective where it is needed? I have been wondering about this since I saw your thread earlier today. I am asking purely for information and I am not looking to challenge what you are doing. I think showing the victim support is a good thing.

Sourstix: Your post is tough to read. Would you kindly post using conventional language?

marina

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 3:58 pm
Quote:
Marina: If the community and its leaders are not willing to admit to anything more than yichud violations and they don't respect those outside their community, do you think your petition will be effective where it is needed? I have been wondering about this since I saw your thread earlier today. I am asking purely for information and I am not looking to challenge what you are doing. I think showing the victim support is a good thing.

As I wrote here:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....24313

DON'T sign this petition if you think it will magically fix anything in this particular religious community. It won't.

DO sign this petition if you want to show support for the victim and her family. They will see each signature and each message of support.

DO sign this petition if you want to give your rabbis a chance to take a position on this topic. The rabbis who will receive all the signatures are listed below.

BUT most of all, sign this petition if you want to take back your Judaism. Sign to disassociate yourself from those who pervert and twist our traditions and faith. Sign to show that your religion protects the victims and not the abusers, that your religion doesn't tolerate bullying those who have already been through hell, that your religion can't and won't accept this type of evil.

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 4:11 pm
marina wrote:
Quote:

As I wrote here:

DON'T sign this petition if you think it will magically fix anything in this particular religious community. It won't.

DO sign this petition if you want to show support for the victim and her family. They will see each signature and each message of support.

DO sign this petition if you want to give your rabbis a chance to take a position on this topic. The rabbis who will receive all the signatures are listed below.

BUT most of all, sign this petition if you want to take back your Judaism. Sign to disassociate yourself from those who pervert and twist our traditions and faith. Sign to show that your religion protects the victims and not the abusers, that your religion doesn't tolerate bullying those who have already been through hell, that your religion can't and won't accept this type of evil.

I had read that thread, and I am still confused. You are sending the petition to "Satmar (Rabbis Aaron and Zalman Teitelbaum)." Aren't those the leaders of the particular religious community you say won't have anything fixed by the petition?

5*Mom

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 4:12 pm
carpediem wrote:

I'd say that staying there is her holding her head up high. I don't think she's slapping anyone in the face (although I'm sure she'd love to and she certainly has every right to).

I too respect her for staying there.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 12:25 pm
carpediem wrote:

but happiness and quiet trump that

They could commute to work. In their case it's very worth it

5*Mom

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 12:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:
carpediem wrote:

but happiness and quiet trump that

They could commute to work. In their case it's very worth it

Pardon? What would make any person think that they are in a position to decide what is "worth it" for someone else in a situation like this?? These threads have me gagging.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 12:53 pm
I'm giving support. Don't like it? don't read it. I'm bowing out now, and wishing them and those who support emes the best.

marina

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 3:03 pm
Squishy wrote:
marina wrote:
Quote:

As I wrote here:

I had read that thread, and I am still confused. You are sending the petition to "Satmar (Rabbis Aaron and Zalman Teitelbaum)." Aren't those the leaders of the particular religious community you say won't have anything fixed by the petition?

You have to give everyone a chance. They are there pro forma.

marina

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 3:04 pm
Squishy wrote:
sourstix wrote:
carpediem wrote:

Not everyone knows the truth. I have heard from different people admissions only that Weberman was guilty of not following yichud. If he had followed halaha and had not been alone with her then he would not have been convicted.

Sourstix: Your post is tough to read. Would you kindly post using conventional language?

I have heard from the jury that he raped her. And if he had followed halacha and not raped her then he wouldn't have been convicted.

sarahd

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 3:44 pm
I don't think Squishy is disputing that. She's just telling you the limit of what other people are willing to concede.

Last edited by sarahd on Wed, Sep 11 2013, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics