Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
No Boil Meat Lasagna?

mc

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 6:53 pm
Looking for no fail recipe that doesn't need noodles to be cooked first. I end up with "crunchy" top noodles and/or everything falling apart. I've tried adding more water, but that doesn't seem to solve issue... Thanks.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 6:57 pm
Bake covered to retain the steam, which cooks the noodles.

mc

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 8:02 pm
I do bake covered tightly with foil, and still have trouble.
Anyone have a specific tried and true recipe?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 8:50 pm
I never had a problem with the noodles on top--my top is covered with the meat and sauce, not the lasagna noodles.

I layer lasagna on bottom, then meat mixture, then vegetables in sauce, noodles, meat, sauce, noodles, meat, sauce. I add a bit of water to all four corners of the pan and cover. Bake at 425 degrees for 2-3 hrs.

ETA: You need to uncover and let it stand on the counter for a while before you serve it. If you serve it straight out it will fall apart. Once it stood a bit you will see perfect layers when you dish it out.

mc

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 10:11 pm
Thanks.. Do you brown the meat first, or layer raw?

m in Israel

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 5:46 am
I do it very similar to groisamomma -- with the top layer being meat and sauce rather than the noodles. I put a little plain sauce at the bottom of the tray. Then I mix the sauce with the raw meat (I don't bother browning it), and layer noodles, meat/sauce mixture, noodles, meat/sauce, noodles and a slightly thinner layer of the meat/sauce. I pour about 1 cup of boiling water over the whole thing (a bit less if I made it very saucy), cover it tightly and bake at 350 F for about 1 1/2 hours. (Don't know why my temperature/ timing is so different then hers?). Comes out in perfect pieces.

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 5:49 am
This is amazing http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....sagna

groisamomma

Post Wed, Sep 11 2013, 7:53 pm
mc wrote:
Thanks.. Do you brown the meat first, or layer raw?

I don't bother browning it in a pan. I just make a regular mixture as if I'm going to fry burgers or make meatballs. I use the same mixture for everything Very Happy

My temps are so different than other people's because I make them up as I go along. Very Happy

etky

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 12:21 am
I made meat lasagna for chag and it was terrific (not Shopaholic's recipe since I didn't want to patchke with making bechamel). As I wrote in that thread, I soak the no-boil noodles in warm water for about 10 min. before I layer w/ the meat. I never have undercooked noodles with this method in either cheese or meat lasagna. To solve the issue of the top layer drying out as it tends to do since I do not bake it covered (somehow it my oven things like this don't do well covered in foil) I moistened it with a little additional sauce (sans meat) every 10 min. after the first half hour of baking. Came out perfect.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics