Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Can I salvage a bland roast?

Basya

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 8:57 pm
I made a roast for Rosh Hashana, and while the consistency was good, the flavor was kind of blah. It didn't have much flavor. So I put the whole pan in the freezer, and now I would love to find out if there is anything I can do with it at this point? Otherwise, I guess we will just have it for Y''T and pass the ketchup around...

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 9:09 pm
You can slice it thin and bake it in a sauce. Or make gravy for it.
I can't imagine a roast tasting bland. Meat, on its own, has a good flavor to it. So even if you baked it in its own juices, it should taste good. (Unless you cooked it in water. That might make it lose its flavor.)
What went wrong?

Basya

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 9:17 pm
not really sure. I made a recipe from here - rubbed in brown sugar and canned pineapples with the juice. very bland. its already sliced, but what should I do with all the liquid? spill it out? and what kind of sauce?

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 9:23 pm
Did you put too much water in it?
Roast beef does not normally need water.
You can make a sauce out of duck sauce, brown sugar, and a little mustard and bake it on 350* for a half hour. I hope that helps.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 10:12 pm
combine the roast gravy with a good sauce and warm the slices in that.

sauce:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup orange juice
1-1/2 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp coarse black pepper

Basya

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 10:30 pm
Thanks for the replies. I did not put in any water, as the recipe did not tell me to. It was a very large french roast. The only liquid there was, was the pineapple juice from the can, and whatever came from the roast itself while it cooked.

naturemom

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 10:48 pm
Make the marinade detailed here. And let your sliced meat sit in it for a while. You will have a ton of flavor. I would copy and paste it but its not working for me.
http://m.blogher.com/best-beef-marinade-ever

Soul on fire

Post Tue, Sep 24 2013, 12:21 am
Make a gravy from the liquid that you cooked it in. If the liquid is bland season it until it tastes yummy then make it into gravy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics