Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Making a Sheva Brochos in a shul

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 5:30 pm
Our apartment is small for a sheva brochos, and I'm wondering what's involved if you want to make it somewhere else. transporting the food, warming it up, serving. What are the logistics? How much harder or costlier is it than doing it in your own home, (and of course rearranging , removing all the furniture)?

I'm afraid we can't afford to host in a restaurant. that leaves the idea of a shul. but how does that work, with the minyanim of mincha and maariv coming to daven? The SB can be held after maariv, but I'm concerned whether setting up would be difficult.

Has anyone done this? Advice, tips, ideas would all be appreciated.

mumoo

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 6:00 pm
all the shuls by us only let in catered food or food cooked in the shul/kollel
if you can bring in your own, you can keep the costs down.

Transporting food can all be done at once. Use foil pans. You'd probably have to heat it in your own oven anyway, many shuls have larger or more than one oven so it would be even easier to do it that way.

We always set up the seudah as a buffet. It's easier with a crowd than to have servers. Or you can do family style with many tables, but then you need a lot of serving bowls/platters.

Also with a buffet, you can decorate a beautiful serving table, have all the food laid out at the beginning (warming trays) and get to enjoy the meal yourself.

I don't know how your shul is set up, by us there is a wall partition so the minyon is undisturbed. But you can be all in the kitchen setting up warmers-then after maariv, move it all out to tables.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 6:17 pm
I had my first SB is Baumgarten's shul. my mil made all the food and heated it up with sterno cans. it was really nice.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 9:49 am
I have heard that restaurants give amazing deals - cheaper even than doing all the work yourself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics