Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
China in the dishwasher?

Reality

Post Sat, Oct 05 2013, 7:58 pm
Do you put your expensive china in the dishwasher? Does it ruin it? Will it take off the gold trim?

TIA

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Oct 05 2013, 8:08 pm
According to my mother, the trick is to open the dishwasher immediately after it finishes to let the steam out. Her good dishes still have gold trim after 20 something years of having a dishwasher, so I guess it works.

Happy18

Post Sat, Oct 05 2013, 8:25 pm
They now sell china that can be put in the dishwasher, they also have dishwashers with china settings. No idea how effective it is. I would not put good china in the dishwasher.

Reality

Post Sat, Oct 05 2013, 8:32 pm
The china that I have is 10+ years old. I always washed it by hand. Now I moved into a new house and have a dishwasher I would love to put them in it. I am just scared I am going to ruin them. It was a very expensive gift. So what should I do?

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Oct 05 2013, 8:40 pm
Try one small item that you don't use as often.

little_mage

Post Sat, Oct 05 2013, 8:43 pm
If the manufacturer is still making it, it might be possible to find out from them if it's dishwasher safe. I have dishes that I've been putting in for about two years now, and the trim on them is still fine, but the manufacturer said they were dishwasher safe.

Reality

Post Sat, Oct 05 2013, 8:45 pm
Very good ideas. Thank you. It is actually not an American brand. It is German - Johann Haviland. I will check it out.

happymomx

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 1:29 am
I purchased Lennox china that claims to be dishwasher safe. I called the company before using the dishwasher for this china and she told me it was safe and recommended some mild detergent. She was wrong and the gold rim is being washed off. So do be careful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry