Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Token rides
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 8:53 pm
I can imagine kids from a large family, with lots of older siblings. They probably feel like they hardly ever get anything of their own, and having a ride to themselves would be a special treat. Then all of a sudden some strange kids come crowding into their seats and squishing them for the whole ride? NOT FAIR!

Sure, kids need to learn how to share, but sometimes they also want to feel special.

It's a stinking quarter, people. Pay your way, or come back a different day.

(On the other hand, my DD is an only child, and she always "makes friends" on rides, so for her it's totally different.)

amother

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 11:35 am
This story just reminds me of when I took my 1.5 year-old DD on a Chol Hamoed to a busy avenue that had token rides here and there. I figured since she's just a baby a token ride was good Chol Hamoed entertainment for her.

Anyway, there was a woman standing next to the (moving) ride with her two kids on it. When it was done she just kept them on it even though we were standing right next to her and quite obviously waiting to use it next. She did not put it more quarters for another ride, just kept them on it and even ushered her friend's kids onto it as well when they came out of a nearby store. It seemed she was waiting for her husband to come out of the nearby restaurant so figured she'll keep the kids on it as long as it entertained them.

My DH and I waited there for over a half hour while making it very obvious we were waiting to use the ride. This was a few years ago, I was a young mommy and more of a pushover then. Nowadays, rude people like that get me so mad you can bet I would be speaking my mind!

oliveoil

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
This story just reminds me of when I took my 1.5 year-old DD on a Chol Hamoed to a busy avenue that had token rides here and there. I figured since she's just a baby a token ride was good Chol Hamoed entertainment for her.

Anyway, there was a woman standing next to the (moving) ride with her two kids on it. When it was done she just kept them on it even though we were standing right next to her and quite obviously waiting to use it next. She did not put it more quarters for another ride, just kept them on it and even ushered her friend's kids onto it as well when they came out of a nearby store. It seemed she was waiting for her husband to come out of the nearby restaurant so figured she'll keep the kids on it as long as it entertained them.

My DH and I waited there for over a half hour while making it very obvious we were waiting to use the ride. This was a few years ago, I was a young mommy and more of a pushover then. Nowadays, rude people like that get me so mad you can bet I would be speaking my mind!

Why would you wait half an hour?!

gp2.0

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 11:47 am
amother wrote:

I walked past a ride recently that had a kid sitting on it and not riding, politely asked the mom if she would mind letting my DD ride for a minute, and she acquiesced gladly, though she had to coax her DD off.

Why on earth would you wait a half hour without saying something...

Speaking of which, where is this carousel you're all referencing? Someone PM me!

I was at a chuck e cheese recently that had a carousel ride like this. A mom put on her two kids and the third seat was empty. I just put my DD on because I wasn't going to shout for permission (man was it noisy.) I did pay for the second round though.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 11:48 am
[quote]Why would you wait half an hour?![quote]

Why? Because it was the only ride appropriate for her age that was actually working, she was very excited to go on it and I didn't have the heart to just say forget it and take her home. I'm not sure, but I think we did not have a car available at the time so only wanted to go somewhere within walking distance...

amother

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 11:56 am
Previous amother.

I'm not proud of it, but as I said I was a bit of a pushover then. Now I'm more used to dealing with people like that and would say something right away. I guess I had figured, what was there to say, I'm standing right next to her and made eye contact to make it (nicely) obvious we were waiting, with quarters in hand. Yes I should have said something but I thought she would eventually get the hint. Before I knew it, what with talking to my DH etc., half an hour had passed.

ElTam

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 9:35 pm
I would not begrudge a child an empty seat for a ride that costs a token. That being said, I would also not put my child on a ride someone else paid for. I wouldn't ask if I could, either.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 25 2013, 12:03 am
[quote="gp2.0"
Speaking of which, where is this carousel you're all referencing? Someone PM me!
[/quote]13th ave, boro park
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette