Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Cooking once for the whole week.
Previous  1  2

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 6:27 pm
I’m the best mother when I make farina for supper, en dh craves it. I, on the other hand would eat steak every night …. Then I’ll need a third job!

Hannah!

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 11:01 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 1:49 am
I cook on Friday for almost the whole week...it's the only day I have to cook. Shabbat we have fresh. Sunday we have Shabbat leftovers. Monday usually fish. Tuesday "fresh" main course (cooked Friday, frozen, then microwaved Tuesday night), leftover sides (I ALWAYS have a ton of leftover sides from Shabbat; doesn't seem to matter what I do). Wednesday night leftovers from Tuesday. Thursday night is usually "finish off anything that's still edible" with a fresh side dish (usually take out). Mikvah night is ALWAYS take out.

This will probably change as DS starts eating more; DH and I are not particularly big eaters, so it works for us for now.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 1:53 am
amother wrote:
I would never serve such unhealthy things like hot dogs. Just to reiterate what I said, sandwiches are not suppers. When your dh comes home it's preferable to have a hot healthy meal, not a sandwich.

And if you're going to insult and judge people it's preferable to not hide behind the anonymity of amother.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 1:54 am
withhumor, how old are your kids?

Mishie

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 2:56 am
When ever I make a Tomato Sauce, I make it in a very large pot, and add lots of veggies to it.
Then we have some that evening with pasta. and I freeze the rest in 1 Liter plastic containers.
That gives me at least 3-4 dinners. I use them for Lasagna, Spagetti, Baked Ziti etc...

You can make casseroles in large quantities, have one the day you cook, and freeze the rest.

I'm actually looking for ideas for casseroles. Anybody have any they enjoy?

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 9:25 am
amother wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
With, I realize everyone's situation is different, but let me tell you how I do things.

We always eat dinner at 7 PM in our house and the groc. shopping is done on Tues nights.

Sunday night is leftovers from Shabbos, and I usually make something meaty to supplement it, like meatloaf and a veg. soup.

I also make a big salad since that's my lunch for the week, and our vegetable for Monday night.

Monday night I make a big milchig meal. Such as ziti, and I boil the noodles Sunday. I work until 5:30, will get home about 6 or 6:15 the latest, add the sauce and cheeses, and serve it by 7. With the salad, as above.

Tues, I go right from work to the groc store, and serve an easily cooked dinner like baked shnitzel, cousocus from a box, and steam veggies like broccoli. OR I make something easy like a Chinese stir fry, as I said before. (Rice goes in a steamer or takes just 20 minutes in the microwave).

Wed I have an early shiur so it's sandwiches, made from the rolls or bread I bought on Tues. We rotate between turkey cutlets, burgers, hotdogs, etc., with baked fries, frozen corn or canned beans, etc. Believe me, it's a hearty enough dinner!

Thurs I get a few things for Shabbos right after work and start cooking; my fridge isn't big so the leftovers all get put out and used up.

We love the Shabbos soup, too, With, but the expensive, just for Shabbos food is just that - just for Shabbos! Extra soup goes into the freezer for the next Shabbos.

I am glad I don't live in your house. It sounds like military camp!

Why the rude remark? Try working 9-5 and getting home at 6 and we'll see how laissez faire your meals are.
I think CM has a great routine worked out.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 9:32 am
You know what? It's funny the nasty comments are all amother

I think it's important to plan ahead, I am working on doing that too.. It's not easy to come home at 6 or 7 and throw something together.

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 9:43 am
the point of eating a meal is to get full. whether youre eating steaks or sandwiches shouldnt matter. as long as youre not hungry afterwards, thats what counts.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 9:49 am
Apparently, lots of people DO think that sandwiches are a meal. Sandwiches are the most popular meal - Subway and other similar restaurants wouldn't be rolling in the dough if people didn't love them and eat them constantly.

Sandwiches are great b/c you can get your protein and carbs at once. You can also make your sandwich as healthy or unhealthy as you like.

Anyone that doesn't think a sandwich is a meal is a moron that doesn't know what a sandwich IS.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:29 am
I won't say hotdogs are health food but once a month won't kill ya. At least, it hasn't killed us yet.

and you know what I say ,. . . .

whatever doesn't kill ya make ya stronger!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics