Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Healthy date cake

freidasima

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 2:09 pm
So here as a public service announcement is my health version of a fruit cake that I make, that is nutritious, delicious, and you might like (no fats, no sugars, no white flour and can be made gluten free with soy, buckwheat or other non gluten flours. It can also be made without eggs but then it needs fats.)

2 cups non instant oats (I use organic small)
2 cups whole wheat flour (sift well, I use organic)
2 T baking powder (that's 2 small packets here in EY)
1 level T baking soda
3 T cinnamon (we love it so I use heaping)

mix

Then add:
2 eggs
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce (I use organic bio)
2-3 cups unsweetened soy milk (you can use water, orange juice, almond milk and regular milk - in other words LIQUID of some kind)

mix into batter.

Take 500-800 grams of medjhool dried dates (I use organic) wash and destone (that means take out the pit and anything else that looks yucky). Check each date (yeah kashrus, what can you do...) and then cut in four. Toss into batter. Mix well.

Place in greased large pan (I line with foil or liner) and bake for 40-50 minutes or until brown on top at 350 degrees. Take out of oven, let cool ten minutes and cut into small squares. Freezes well up to six months (but in our house a pan like that gets divided into three, one goes into fridge, two into freezer and it gets used up in two weeks to a month depending on how many people eat and how often).

Delicious. Sweet. Healthy. Good for digestion (all those dates - do NOT eat more than three squares at a sitting or you will find yourself in the little room more often than you like.

JollyMommy

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 7:57 pm
Thank you for this!

I'm actually hoping my constipated 2 year old will gobble it and have a nice reaction
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking