Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Need advice. Please help.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 1:09 am
How does one go about becoming a preschool teacher (ages 3-5)? Specifically in Brooklyn.
I have been doing office work up until about a year ago when I had a baby. I never liked it. I have always thought that being a preschool teacher would be more fitting for me. I am patient and great with kids. People have always told me I should look into teaching. The only problem is that I don't know how to go about it. Where do I start? Is there course? Do you need a degree in child Ed if you are working for a local Gan? Most ads I found in Hamodia request you fax in a resume. I cannot do that since I do not have experience in the field besides babysitting, which I am sure does not count.
What does the resume need to include besides experience?

I really believe this is the career I am meant to have. It seems natural. I just have no clue how to go about it! Any tips and advice would be really appreciated. TIA

Anon bc. I have family on this site

joy613

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 2:00 am
You most likely would not be required to have a degree in ed for a local small preschool class. Although it would surely help.

Would you be willing to spend a year being an assistant teacher? They will take you without any experience and it will be good to have on the resume.
Problem with that is they pay peanuts generally, and it's not always a great learning experience. That will really depend on the teacher you're working for. Some will just give you cutting to do all day, while others will actually want you to share in the teaching role. If you do go this track, you should ask the teacher who interviews you what she is looking for in an assistant.

Good luck!

strawberry cola

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 2:52 am
How about starting a playgroup for 2 .5- three-year-olds in your home? You'll be able to see if you really like this type of job, and then you can put the experience on your resume, if you want to teach in an established school.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 7:09 am
Hashem loves me wrote:

Would you be willing to spend a year being an assistant teacher? They will take you without any experience and it will be good to have on the resume.
Problem with that is they pay peanuts generally, and it's not always a great learning experience. That will really depend on the teacher you're working for. Some will just give you cutting to do all day, while others will actually want you to share in the teaching role. If you do go this track, you should ask the teacher who interviews you what she is looking for in an assistant.

Good luck!

This

amother

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 11:58 pm
I am the op

Hashem Loves me- Thanks that is great advice. I am not looking to do this job for money so being an assistant sounds like the right way to start. The experience would be priceless.

Strawberry Cola- Thank you for your reply. I thing working in an already established place would be better for me personally.

Lady Bug

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 12:20 am
I know you said you are not in this for money, but if you get a master's in education then you can get paid way more for the same job. It may be worth looking into.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics