Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning dirty tzitzis

leapyearbaby

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 4:11 pm
DH spilled chicken gravy all over his tzitzis... Any idea how I can clean them? Water alone isn't enough (the smell is quite strong) and I don't want to put them in the washing machine.

Thanks!

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 4:13 pm
Whoolite

leapyearbaby

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 4:20 pm
teawithlemon wrote:
Whoolite

Even on the strings?

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 4:25 pm
you can do it by hand carefully and hang to dry

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 4:32 pm
For years I was afraid to wash dh's wool tzitzis in the machine. A few months ago I started using Woolite, Wisk, and Iron Out and they come out gorgeous. The ironing is a pain, though.

Mix one cup of Wisk, Iron Out, and Woolite and smear over stains. Let sit for 1/2 hr. Throw into machine-cold and delicate. Rinse.

They'll come out beautiful.

Dini20

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 8:17 pm
groisamomma wrote:
For years I was afraid to wash dh's wool tzitzis in the machine. A few months ago I started using Woolite, Wisk, and Iron Out and they come out gorgeous. The ironing is a pain, though.

Mix one cup of Wisk, Iron Out, and Woolite and smear over stains. Let sit for 1/2 hr. Throw into machine-cold and delicate. Rinse.

They'll come out beautiful.

Do you wrap the strings with anything?

nicole81

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 10:35 pm
I learned this trick on here: take old stockings and cut them (or use knee highs.) Put the strings into them and then make a knot. I wash in the machine on the gentle cycle, then take off the stockings and hang to dry. They come out perfectly like this.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 4:16 pm
the stocking trick is mine as well ... this way water gets through to wash the dirt out of the strings ... use regular detergent - add some baking soda ... hang to almost dry & then iron
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry