Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Challah getting stale - how to fix

mochacoffee

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 10:59 pm
I have a great water challah recipe that's really simple and doesn't taste too dry. My problem is that by the shabbos meals the challah gets stale just waiting for someone else who wants more at the table. Even if its left out for 10 minutes it starts to stale. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, is there a solution to this?
I don't mind making an egg challah, I'm assuming egg challah doesn't dry out as fast. Does anyone have a simple egg challah recipe. The recipe I'm using now is very straight forward, only has to rise for an hour + half hour after braided so I really like the simplicity. Any suggestion welcome. Thanks!

thekosherchannel

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 12:31 am
Do you live in a very dry climate? That could be the problem.

I also have a great water challah recipe, it stays moist and freezes well. I think it is important not to add more flour as you knead unless you really must. Try to keep kneading until it comes together smoothly. Also, the trick about letting the dough mixture sit after just mixing the ingredients helps the flour absorb the moisture so you don't have to knead as long or add flour.

Here goes:

4 cups warm water
1-2 cups sugar, depending on how sweet you like it (yes, you can replace it with honey or silan)
4 tablespoons active dry yeast
5 cups flour (white, or 50/50 white and wheat)
4 tablespoons kosher salt (use only 3 tablespoons if you are in Israel. The salt is a thicker grain here)
1 cup canola or safflower oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 egg, beaten for brushing the top

In a large bowl mix water, sugar and yeast. Wait for yeast to bubble. Add flour, salt and canola oil. Mix to blend. Let sit 10 minutes, then knead until smooth. I knead it right in the bowl. Try not to add more flour, it will get smoother as you knead. If it is too dry, knead in more OIL.

When you have a large ball of dough, drizzle olive oil over it, turn the dough over to coat both sides and also the sides of the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot for an hour until doubled.

Punch down, take challah, shape, let rise 20-30 minutes. Bake in a preheated oven, 350F for about 30-36 minutes until golden. I often use the convection setting, lower time and time.

Shabbat Shalom, I hope you enjoy!

mochacoffee

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 2:28 pm
Thanks for the reply, I don't live in such a dry climate. (NY)

I don't think its my recipe because some weeks it comes out good and doesn't dry out and other weeks it does dry out, really fast. Would oiling the dough before rising help? I have no clue. I'm a relativity new challah baker.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 3:26 pm
I had a similar problem, for 2kg of flour I use 4 2/3 to 5 cups of water. The original recipe said 4c. Pay attention to the humidity too. In the summer I use a little less.

Also cover it after it's cut.

thekosherchannel

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 5:55 am
When you knead it are you adding more flour? That could cause dryness.

I used to have trouble with challah until I learned these tips:
After you mix the ingredients, and before kneading, let it sit for 10 minutes, then knead
When kneading, if the dough is sticky use oil rather than flour.

Dough should be smooth and pliable. If you use these tips please let us know how your challah turns out.

Kol hakavod for trying so hard! It's a precious mitzvah and I hope you get it right soon.

mochacoffee

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 11:17 pm
Arg! I tried an egg challah recipe this week and its staling fast too! What am I doing wrong?

I'm not adding flour while kneading so I don't think that's the issue.

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 12:57 am
Water challah is by nature dryer than egg challah. If some weeks your challah dries out and some weeks it doesn't, then one of two things (or both) is going on: either the relative humidity in your house varies--which is surely does unless you live in a climate-controlled museum archives--or some weeks you bake the challah longer than others. The longer you bake it, the drier it will be.

Oiling the dough before rising won't do anything. The function of that oil is to keep the dough from sticking to the bowl and the cloth that covers it.

Try subbing honey for all or part of the sugar. You will have to reduce the volume of water to compensate for the water content of the honey. Honey is a humectant, which means it attracts and holds water, and for this reason is used in baked goods to keep them moist.

BTW, NY in winter IS a dry climate. Even outdoors, the relative humidity is very low, and indoors the heated air is drier still. The relative humidity in your home in winter can be lower than that of the Sahara.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen