Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
"Potato" kugel made from zucchini

ttbtbm

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 5:40 am
Has anyone substituted zucchini for potatoes in potato kugel? Can it be done?

imasoftov

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 5:58 am
ttbtbm wrote:
Has anyone substituted zucchini for potatoes in potato kugel? Can it be done?

Yes, but zucchini is not something you can substitute for potatoes one-to-one, so you'd have to adjust the recipe to compensate. Google "zucchini kugel", lots of good recipes that are already tailored for zucchini instead of potatoes.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 7:25 pm
I don't like it.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:18 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Yes, but zucchini is not something you can substitute for potatoes one-to-one, so you'd have to adjust the recipe to compensate. Google "zucchini kugel", lots of good recipes that are already tailored for zucchini instead of potatoes.

This. You can NOT substitute zucchini for potatoes in a potato kugel recipe, but you can look for a good zucchini kugel recipe. I have also experimented with a potato-and-zucchini kugel concept that tasted good (using about half potatoes made the taste lighter than a fully-zucchini kugel, but using half zucchini made the carbs lighter) but I don't recommend it unless you find a recipe; mine still needed a bunch of work (the texture was not what I had in mind)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 10:54 pm
You can try the kbd cauliflower mock potato kugel. If I recall correctly it uses just a potato or two and the rest is cauliflower.

ttbtbm

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 10:54 pm
Thank you for all the help and suggestions. I'm having company that can't eat potatoes or flour. But I've noticed that all the zucchini kugel recipes have flour in them. Maybe I'll skip the kugel idea. I'm making a few other roasted vegetable side dishes and figured a kugel would be a nice addition.

Applekugel

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:27 pm
Look for recipes in a pesach cookbook.

centurion

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:36 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
Thank you for all the help and suggestions. I'm having company that can't eat potatoes or flour. But I've noticed that all the zucchini kugel recipes have flour in them. Maybe I'll skip the kugel idea. I'm making a few other roasted vegetable side dishes and figured a kugel would be a nice addition.

if you drain the zucchini, you don't have to add a lot of flour, and perhaps you can get away with an alternative flour when dealing with a smaller quantity (such as corn starch).
another good kugel alternative is chopping frozen vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, or both), adding sauteed onions, eggs, salt and pepper.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 12:17 am
Go for cauliflower instead. With no flour, it will have a better texture than zucchini. You can steam it a bit, then smash it and mix with eggs and spices like any other kugel, then bake. Should be good!

etky

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 1:13 am
Zuchinni can be very watery and that's why you need the flour in the recipe. I have a wonderful zuchinni kugel recipe that tastes almost exactly like potato kugel but it has lots of flour in it. The only kugel I know of that doesn't use flour at all is broccoli kugel with eggs and mayo.
Alternately, you can use a bit of cornmeal or oats in other kugels (including cooked, mashed zuchinni kugels) that require small quantities of flour as a binding ingredient.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes