Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Super tight budget- suggestions for mm please

blessedqueen

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 1:29 pm
personally, as long as I get chocolate ones, I dont care what anyone calls the mm
but seriously, I have always prided myself on homemade amazing mm- we go to a large extended family seudah, where everyone gives each other, approximately 20 families.
now this year- unfortunately we are on a super tight budget, (really counting every food purchase for the family, let alone for "frills") so beyond the necessary mitzvah mms, what can I give for all these other families?
thank you and may next year we all afford to give mm, and donate to all worthy causes Exclamation

momX4

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 1:42 pm
How about doing a mini theme. Make mini cupcakes and tiny cookies and wrap it up. One cupcake recipe should give you tons of mini cupcakes.

blessedqueen

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 3:56 pm
mini cupcakes,mini cookies is adorable, and possibly include a pasuk about miracle of purim, "they were many, and we were few-" small can be better-? "huge brachot in tiny caloric form"??
thank you. I feel maybe I can pull this off, and make it appear deliberate and not desperate Applause

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 5:02 pm
The minis theme is really cute and it can looks very nice, but I think that the "they were many, we were few" theme is a Hanuka theme. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Maybe connect it to Purim in another way?

imamom7

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 6:03 pm
My sil did a little milk carton and yummy chocolate chip cookies- in a pretty bag.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 6:50 pm
do you have a popcorn popper? homemade popcorn is really cheap and a great bag filler.

newmother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 6:55 pm
Can you make a big pot of soup and give a small container of soup and two breadsticks

Pineapple

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 7:08 pm
amother wrote:
do you have a popcorn popper? homemade popcorn is really cheap and a great bag filler.

You don't need a popper you can do it in the stove

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 7:38 pm
I know someone who once did a mini theme. Her line was, "Good things come in small packages." Everything she included was in miniature and she packaged it in a small gift-wrapped box. Adorable!

UQT

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 8:25 pm
Last year I got a small water bottle and mini bag of carrots - for a 'gym' or 'diet' theme. You can get away with a lot in the name of themes...

The best Mishloach Manos I get is 1lb. of cholent from a friend. I love when we get to that stop! I guess they give something small for a second min..

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 9:46 pm
I've done the homemade soup and breadsticks one, it was very well received.
Also did a cut-up veggies with dip thing, used little deli cups for the dip and put it all on a (nice but not expensive) plastic plate with saran wrap.
Both were inexpensive but I didn't make 20 so dunno what it ends up being...

Tova

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 10:25 pm
(don't use water as a min without clarifying with a Rav...we hold it does not qualify as a min)

busymother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 11:52 pm
seeker wrote:
I've done the homemade soup and breadsticks one, it was very well received.
Also did a cut-up veggies with dip thing, used little deli cups for the dip and put it all on a (nice but not expensive) plastic plate with saran wrap.
Both were inexpensive but I didn't make 20 so dunno what it ends up being...

We did cut up veggies once and it came out more expensive than we thought... Maybe only 20 would have been cheaper... Just saying.

a1mom

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 12:20 am
amother wrote:

You can give out two diffrent types- like a garlic onion powder variety and a candied one or drizzles with some baking chocolate. Oh nuts in cedarhurst has at least 10 different varieties that I am sure can be duplicated with minimal cost and maximum yumminess..
place in cellophane cones.
yum

see link
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/g.....corn/

http://www.pinterest.com/glamm.....ipes/

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 12:51 am
busymother wrote:
We did cut up veggies once and it came out more expensive than we thought... Maybe only 20 would have been cheaper... Just saying.

ONLY 20? I did maybe 10. Used inexpensive veggies - carrots, celery, cucumbers, I think my splurge was orange pepper to go with the green-and-orange motif. Squirt of mayo, ketchup, and mustard already in my fridge plus some spices = orange dip. Maybe I'll do it again this year, come to think of it...
Though if you're making 20+ I can see the slicing being a pain, unless you have some big kids to help you.

blessedqueen

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 3:03 am
wow, I am so humbled by the willingness to help me, and your terrific on the mark ideas- thank you
love the soup idea, can start asking butcher for meat bones and chicken bones, and make stocks, and give 2 kinds of soup- bean/meat and chicken/barley/carrot
you ladies are the best Flower
the cut up veggies I love, but way too much work for me :
and the good things in small packages is great- and yes, chanukah and purim- al hanissim, gets mixed up by me, embarrassed
and this way with soups and breadsticks, I also have excuse not to overdo on wrappings, just need 2 plastic containers, or even empty glass jars (recycling is in!)
may all your mms be delicious- ones received and ones given!
Wave
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics