Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Magazines Purim Spoofs

Do you enjoy magazine Purim spoofs?
Yes- it's Purim!  
 35%  [ 30 ]
No- I feel the Purim spirit in other ways!  
 64%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 84

rise above

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 8:56 am
Call me a party pooper- but am I the only one who really does not appreciate when the weekly magazines turn their entire Purim issue into one big spoof? Most upsetting to me is the serial stories which are the reason I buy the magazines to begin with- bad enough I get tiny bites at a time, I can't go a full two weeks Smile

I know it's too late to get any message across for this year, but was wondering what other people felt about this? Of course, I'm all for a couple of pages or features that are light and funny, but not a complete magazine distortion.

imokay

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 9:09 am
Completely agree!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 9:41 am
Agreed. I feel like that issue is a total waste.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 9:43 am
Yes! Glad I'm not the only one.

kb

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 10:09 am
iirc, last year family first put the serials in twice the spoof week - one real, and one spoofed.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 10:11 am
Well, I guess I'm in the minority. Sometimes spoofs can really miss their marks, but sometimes they can bring joy years later - like just the memories of Mishpacha's 22 Promises and Greener Fences spoofs. Oh, and the brilliant typical thriller precis.

boysrus

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 10:55 am
I am with you OP
I am always disappointed with the pre-Purim issues. If I didnt get subscriptions to 2 magazines, then iwouldnt bother buying them that week.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 11:01 am
LOL! another thing I don't see- and wouldn't enjoy

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 12:50 pm
as one poster said, last year they had the regular and spoof serial in the magazine. Hope they do the same this year.

boysrus

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 12:57 pm
the only purim spoof that I have ever enjoyed in the jewish publications is hamodia's bloopers, that actually has me laughing out loud...

pause

Post Sat, Mar 01 2014, 11:39 pm
I think they're "corny", stupid, and a waste of paper and ink.

MyTimeNow

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 12:07 am
I like them, especially when the mags give their writers wiggle room to let their personalities out. I do agree that some of the pieces ARE a bit corny, not everyone is a humor writer, but I usually enjoy the departure from the staid, message-y, everyday things. I guess to each, her own.

mandr

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 12:11 am
boysrus wrote:
the only purim spoof that I have ever enjoyed in the jewish publications is hamodia's bloopers, that actually has me laughing out loud...

I think they fabricate them.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 12:49 am
Some of them are really funny. The first couple of times almost the whole magazine was a joke, but I think they got the message that that wasn't appreciated and since then the Purim issue tends to be a nice, full, meaningful issue with a couple of spoofs thrown in, which imho is just perfect because then everyone has what to enjoy.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 12:50 am
mandr wrote:
I think they fabricate them.

Nope. They don't.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 1:50 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Nope. They don't.

I don't think they do. I know some of the proofreaders and one time I told her something I'd caught while editing and she laughed and said "That would go right into my blooper file". I think they seriously have a file that they keep year round.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 1:48 am
They don't have to make them up. Dumb things happen. Smart people find the humor in them. I don't usually find them all that funny, but I appreciate them enough to understand why people do. I get more kicks out of the parodies of the serial stories, like the "Hal Dover" ones in Mishpacha.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 9:18 am
seeker wrote:
They don't have to make them up. Dumb things happen. Smart people find the humor in them. I don't usually find them all that funny, but I appreciate them enough to understand why people do. I get more kicks out of the parodies of the serial stories, like the "Hal Dover" ones in Mishpacha.

Thanks. I was beginning to think I was the only one. (I and the person who liked my post.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room