Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Egg Drop Soup

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 5:46 pm
PLEASE HELP!!!

My son will only eat the egg drop soup from the restaurant.. It's a long way to travel for soup.

I have tried making chicken soup and putting egg drops but he says it's not the same...any suggestions?

challi

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 6:33 am
add some soy sauce to the chicken broth. Are you just adding egg to to a reg pot of chicken soup like you would make for shobbos or is it only broth? Cause I would stick just to the broth, add a bit of soy sauce, and the egg. Hope that helps.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:20 am
You should also add some corn starch.

batya_d

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 6:35 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
You should also add some corn starch.

Yep, add corn starch. I'd say 3 Tbsp corn starch for 6-8 cups of soup.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 6:45 pm
I made egg drop soup today, it came out really great.

I just used 4-6 cups chicken broth, a little bit of soy sauce, some ginger powder, about 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch dissolved in warm water, 2 eggs lightly beaten, and a half cup of thin egg noodles.

batya_d

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 7:13 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I made egg drop soup today, it came out really great.

I just used 4-6 cups chicken broth, a little bit of soy sauce, some ginger powder, about 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch dissolved in warm water, 2 eggs lightly beaten, and a half cup of thin egg noodles.

That sounds amazing!! I'll bet the ginger powder gave it a great kick.

Since I made a soup recipe (Hot and Sour from KBD-Short on Time) I'm obsessed with Worcestershire sauce (Heinz brand is OU-pareve, not fish). It adds such a wonderful flavor!

I always dissolve corn starch in cold water, FWIW.

Hannah!

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 7:34 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

withhumor

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 7:46 pm
What does Worcestershire sauce do? Is it a thickener and a cream? Like corn starch plus coffee whitener? I’m curious to try it because many times I use both of those in a recipe (parve spinach) and I wonder if this makes the texture more consistent.

MitzvahMom, you can slice scallions into thin rings and toss it in to the boiling pot the last minute. It gives a heavenly taste.

Guys, what do you do with the eggs? Stir it and drop it in to the soup then swirl? Do you add spices to the egg before?

Thanks! <drooling>

Hannah!

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 7:57 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 10:13 pm
my kids would love for me to make egg drop soup. Ill try the recipe, it sounds yummy

batya_d

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 10:32 pm
withhumor wrote:
What does Worcestershire sauce do? Is it a thickener and a cream? Like corn starch plus coffee whitener?

Nope, it's a thin, dark savory sauce that is very flavorful. It looks like soy sauce. It's got anchovies in it, so make sure you buy one that has the regular OU and not OU-fish, that means the amount of fish is less than 1.6 percent or bittul, so it can be used in meat dishes.

It's most commonly used as a steak sauce, but now I love adding it to soup!

batya_d

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 10:34 pm
withhumor wrote:

MitzvahMom, you can slice scallions into thin rings and toss it in to the boiling pot the last minute. It gives a heavenly taste.

great tip! Sounds like the hot and sour soup I made last night!

Quote:
Guys, what do you do with the eggs? Stir it and drop it in to the soup then swirl? Do you add spices to the egg before?

beat the eggs slightly and pour slowly into the soup, while stirring with a fork in one direction only. Stir fast for thin strands of egg, more slowly for thicker strands.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 10:43 am
I love Worcestershire sauce, I put it into my pumpkin soup all the time, it gives it a nice zing.

rise above

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 10:48 am
Quote:
Since I made a soup recipe (Hot and Sour from KBD-Short on Time) I'm obsessed with Worcestershire sauce (Heinz brand is OU-pareve, not fish). It adds such a wonderful flavor!

whats the recipe for the hot and sour soup? it sounds yum!
(and I wanna finish a bottle of wocestershire sauce!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics