Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
How can I get the oil out of the soup?

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Mar 07 2014, 3:43 pm
I really dislike oily soup. I don't add any to my chicken soup and even the oil from the chicken is a bit much for me. I just made myself vegetable soup and sauteed the onions and vegetables in the beginning. I thought if I cook it long enough the oil will go away (not sure how though). Anyways its so oily and gross. what can I add to the soup that would absorb the oil? Or how else can I get rid of it? (and next time I won't sautee first). TIA

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Mar 07 2014, 3:45 pm
If you refrigerate it, the fat will solidify on top and come off really easily. Otherwise, just try to skim with a spoon.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Mar 07 2014, 4:00 pm
What previous poster suggested. Refridge it overnight and the next day skim the fat with a spoon. I take off all skin from the chicken before cooking so its really not fatty.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Mar 07 2014, 4:13 pm
I first cook the chicken then refrigerate it overnight and then skim the fat and then cook it with vegetables and whatever.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 07 2014, 4:31 pm
If you don't have time to refrigerate the soup, lay large cabbage or lettuce leaves on top of the soup to soak up the oil, or use paper towels, then quickly remove and throw out.

Next time, only use 2 Tbsp oil to saute when you are preparing the base of a soup. Using a lower flame to saute, and sauteeing for longer, will allow you to use less oil.

And next time you make chicken soup, use very clean, trimmed chicken and/or bones with no skin. There will be virtually no fat in your chicken soup.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Mar 07 2014, 4:35 pm
If you don't want the oil, don't use it in the first place. The onions and other veggies will get just as nice and soft from boiling in the water. But since it's already there, just fridge and skim top.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics