Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Measles outbreak NYC
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:25 pm
Again, this has nothing to do with this thread. Nor do I see any basis for this in reality; I know non-vaccinating families but I have never, ever met one who only is wary of the vaccination schedule and doesn't have other lifestyle choices that are contrary to the mainstream way of doing things.

4eyes

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:17 pm
Let's all just move to Sweden?

smiledr

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:12 am
Chavs the reason why there is do much maternity leave is because of the low birth rate - they are encouraging women to have children so they give maternity leave and benefits whereas in America pple are having too many kids so y encourage more. It's common in many European countries where population is decreasing . You keep saying how wonderful Sweden is ... Things are relatively great there but there must be a reason everyone's coming to America instead of Sweden....

chavs

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:30 am
smiledr wrote:
Chavs the reason why there is do much maternity leave is because of the low birth rate - they are encouraging women to have children so they give maternity leave and benefits whereas in America pple are having too many kids so y encourage more. It's common in many European countries where population is decreasing . You keep saying how wonderful Sweden is ... Things are relatively great there but there must be a reason everyone's coming to America instead of Sweden....

First of all I never said that Sweden or Denmark are better then America, I posted facts. If You took the facts as those countries being better then that's your opinion.
Btw there is no lack of children in either of those countries. Ppl have an average of 2-3 children there. Maternity leave has been like that add far as I remember. It's nothing new.
Btw there are plenty of immigrants in Denmark.
I wonder if you have every been there.
Either way I am not interested in having a discussion about which country is better as that was never the discussion. The discussion was that they are different which they are.

maliza

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 7:03 pm
"Again, this has nothing to do with this thread. Nor do I see any basis for this in reality; I know non-vaccinating families but I have never, ever met one who only is wary of the vaccination schedule and doesn't have other lifestyle choices that are contrary to the mainstream way of doing things."

This thread began discussing the outbreak of measles in NYC.
Outbreaks of communicable diseases have become prevalent in the orthodox Jewish communities. They spread quickly among our communities because we travel freely through our communities and abroad. Non-vaccinated orthodox Jewish children are increasingly common in all our communities and are one of the key reasons why outbreaks are more common.

We have been discussing immunizations: those who vaccinate and those who do not, and the consequences of either choice.

I have mentioned school age children who are not immunized because the parents choose not to immunize. Based on the statements of their "religious" exemptions, they do not wish to put unnatural substances in their children's bodies. While you may not know of non-vaccinating families who choose to not vaccinate but also do not adhere to the same principles in other areas of life, I certainly do. I know quite a number of such families.
I also know families who do their best in all areas of their life to protect themselves from environmental hazards, including vaccinatations -- and I respect the wishes of those families, because their beliefs are all-inclusive, not "pick and choose."

You may not agree with me - but to say you have "never, ever" is your experience, not necessarily of others.

At any rate, this is a conversation, not an argument. "shalom alayich" !

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 8:28 pm
I just feel like I tend to associate with these families, Jewish or not, because I belong to more natural parenting forums to expose me to such people.

But who said the religious belief is for putting in unnatural injections? There are many concerns with vaccines, and the one I hear most touted by frum Jews is guarding one's health where those people believe it's safer to not give vaccines with known side effects vs giving them and minimizing the chance of a VPD. It's not really about the ingredients being natural or not. And yes, you can say organic food is better, but that's really unrelated. Firstly, some people believe that the digestive tract is better able to filter out toxins (whether it's true or not is moot) than the blood stream. Secondly, there is a spectrum of what is good, better, worse, and those spectrums are different for all your examples. It really has no bearing on the conversation at all (we've hashed out/bashed non-vaccinators to pieces on this board in the past). This thread is really about the measles making a recurrence. Which has nothing to do with if you believe people should be consistent with their lifestyles.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics