Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Small apartment survival tips

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 12:01 am
I live in Brooklyn and we have 8 children KA"H. We live in an 800 sq foot apartment, no joke.

Moving to a bigger place is not an option at the moment, with rents being what they are. Neither is moving out of town.

I need some survival tips. We have zero storage space but I don't know how to get rid of stuff. It's easier to just throw away than to find someone who wants to buy or even give it away, but then I feel guilty. My husband and I also don't agree on what to toss and what to keep. Example he has stuff that belonged to his departed relatives which I begged him NOT to bring into the house because we have no space, but now they're just taking up our entire closet.

What I could really use is one of those home organizers who come and give your house a makeover. Does anyone have any leads?

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 12:08 am
You really need to get rid of anything that is not essential for day to day life. If your husband is very attached to some extra things, maybe you can rent storage or a garage and put it there. If you dont use it, toss it.

Pooh

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 12:10 am
Sara terzi 917 626 4234. She has an account on Instagram littlemissorganizer. She helps reorganize and make functional. Don't know how much she charges or anything but the pictures she posts of before and after are big difference.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 12:11 am
Wow 8 kids in that amount of space! I have 3 in a 1 bedroom and I think I'm suffocating... But that's brooklyn unfortunately. I wish we can move out of town, I dream of just SPACE and more SPACE. Nothing fancy just plain space.
Being organized is extremely important. I have plastic containers and bins for nearly everything. My kitchen I organized with tupperware. We use the very top shelf in each closet for storage. It seems like you may benefit from the book 'hakol bseder'. I think it comes in a few languages not sure.
Hatzloche and know that you're not alone!

wife2

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 12:17 am
If you really live in that size apartment with 10 people, you are not going to have any space. Even just keeping basic clothes for everyone and some books/toys, it must be cluttered. how on earth do you have room to sleep? how many rooms is it?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 1:05 am
We have 6 kids KAH in I think 1000-1100 square feet.

Two main tips: Vertical space, and everything in the right room.

The closets in the kids' rooms should ONLY be used for their clothing, no other storage. Use underbed boxes for longer term storage (or sheets, outgrown clothing, etc.).

We also have a lot of seforim. I strongly recommend getting Ikea bookshelves with height extenders - they add an extra 2 shelves. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.....7403/ Make sure that you have as many as you can get to fill the whole wall - Ikea has thinner and wider bookcases in this series. Use the maximum height of your apartment. That should clear up the boxes in the boys' room.

We also got a very tall bunkbed from Walmart - kids can sit up in them (even I can) and there is room underneath that can be used for longer term storage in standard Rubbermaid boxes. (If the look of boxes under beds bothers you, use dust ruffles.)

Use the boys' closet for all of their clothing - nothing else! Again, think vertical space. They don't have any full-length dresses, so their suits/shirts will only use a certain height. Add shelving to the bottom, and put boxes there to store undergarments, pants, and t-shirts. You will also have space on the top - use that for longer-term storage.

Dining room: You may want to get a floating or fold-down shelf installed in the wall for the Shabbos candles. Here's one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.....0504/ Then get the computer desk out.

Your girls' closet space should also be used to the max. Maybe designate one closet for hanging items (add a lower level rod) and one closet for folded items - shelves and bins. If not all of their clothing fits in there, they need a dresser as well (maybe the one from your room?).

We got a loft bed which we put a toddler bed underneath - you said you don't want bunk beds yet, but when you're thinking in that direction Smile

Your bedroom is for YOUR stuff, again. Nothing else.

All miscellaneous stuff should be in one of the closets in the entryway; the other is there for coats.

And anything that doesn't fit into the right room should be gotten rid of. Period. I second the suggestion to offer DH to pay for storage; he may then realize that the items are costing you money. Take a nice picture and put them out with the trash.

csl

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 1:23 am
I have no suggestions other than the ones posted, but Hatzlocha

coconutbutter

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 3:46 am
http://www.pennilessparenting.......html

Look on her site for similar articles on this topic.

BoomChickaPop

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 11:52 am
I recommend the book "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh. In addition to the great organizing tips that you are getting here, I suggest that you do what you can so that you only have the amount of clothing that you need based on how frequently you can do laundry. Regarding your husbands junk, you really have to somehow figure out a way to either get rid of it or put it in a high up place in the apt that is not going to take up much needed space. I really feel for you. If there is any way for you to use some storage space in a relatives garage or basement (just a few boxes of stuff that you do not use on a regular basis) then you should try that.

lubaussie

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
.The closets in the kids' rooms should ONLY be used for their clothing, no other storage. Use underbed boxes for longer term storage (or sheets, outgrown clothing, etc.).

I found this interesting; amother,can you explain why?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 8:08 pm
Amother with 6 kids in 1100 sqf apt here! Wave

My policy is that closets are useful accessible space, and so shouldn't be wasted on long-term storage (except maybe upper shelves if hard to access).

Closets are also the only practical alternative to a piece of furniture (dresser, armoire) while other storage options can be had without taking up floor space (underbed boxes, for example).

When living in a small space, minimizing unnecessary furniture is important to keep the place feeling spacious enough.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:20 am
OP here. I hired one of those household organizers. It costs a fortune but we'll give it a shot. I'll keep you posted if I get any good tips.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics