Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Gothic fashion

rae gi

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 2:27 am
With a tip o' the hat to gold21. Wink

Is it always about wearing black?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 8:32 am
Gothic fashion is based on Victorian romance, corsets, lots of lace, velvet, sparkly jewelry, and dark elegance. Besides, black is slimming. What's not to love!

(And now you know what I have in the back of my closet, from my younger days. Wink )

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:53 pm
For some body types, flesh is slimming, or black on bigger part and colour elsewhere... I cannot get full black at smachos, personally.

gold21

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:54 pm
LOL rae-gi LOL

I hope Ashrei sees this thread and enjoys it. Cool

Ashrei

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 1:22 pm
I was just passing by and was drawn into clicking this thread... lol, I didn't even recall gold's list

Definitely google images of japanese gothic lolita, if you'd like to see it 'done right' imho.

(Btw, I'm well on the road to recovery b'h)

monseychick

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 2:09 pm
you do all realize that goth is associated with a lot of promiscuity

Fox

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 2:31 pm
monseychick wrote:

Huh? This is news to me -- not that I'm such a connoisseur of goth subculture. I mean, I presume you'd find a higher percentage of promiscuous people who identify as Goths versus promiscuous people identifying themselves as Bais Yaakov students . . . but that's probably true for a lot of subcultures in our times.

Plus, my impression is that many Goths spend much of their time accusing one another of being "poseurs" or "wannabes," leaving precious little time for actual promiscuity. Smile

bigsis144

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 2:36 pm
monseychick wrote:

Every fashion "genre" can be associated with promiscuity... school girls, professional dress (nurses, cops, librarians)...

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 7:53 am
monseychick wrote:

Please explain the research that backs up your statements. I'd love to see your sources.

The vast majority of goths I've known have been far more monogamous than the average person, and the ones who slept around were called all kinds of nasty names behind their backs. I've been to plenty of goth weddings, where the bride and groom were high school sweethearts, and there were no children produced before the wedding either. Being the dramatic and gloomy sort that they are, they take that whole "Until Death Do You Part" business rather seriously.

They're actually some of the most balanced and well educated people I've ever hung out with. Several of them even contributed to my daughter's camp fund - even though I haven't seen any of them in about 10 years. When my friend Esther passed away, about 50 some goths showed up at her funeral, and they worked very hard to make sure that she had a minyan for kaddish. Yes, the rabbi was a goth, too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics