Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gifts for non-frum bar mitzvah twins

Chippies

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 8:02 pm
My cousins are having their "b'nei mitzvah" next shabbos and I just realized that I need to buy a present! This family is very wealthy and we are not, so it doesn't make much sense to me to give them cheques, as I usually do for gifts. I really don't know them so well, so I don't know if they have any particular interests - all I know is that they both love hockey and that they're both very bright. They have some Jewish knowledge, as they went to a reform Jewish day school up until grade 6, but the family really doesn't do much other than go to shul for rosh hashana and yom kippur. I would like to get them something Jewishy, as I am their only religious cousin. But I want it to be something they'll actually enjoy and/or get use out of.

Any suggestions? Any books that may be good for them?

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 8:12 pm
Try Judaica. Maybe give them each a kiddush cup, or a mezuzah for their rooms, or give each one a shofar?

Jewishmofm

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 8:58 pm
I would go with hockey gear here. We have non-frum neighbors whose bar mitzva boys are crazy about basketball. We gifted them with a really nice basketball for the occasion - definitely went a lot further as far as a relationship with the 'wacky orthodox people' went than any sefer would. And I doubt they'll ever open the sefer without first feeling a bit open to learning torah - which they won't if they feel the orthodox are ramming it down their throats.

emama

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:24 pm
I usually give kids who aren't religious a chanukiah. Most people do celebrate Chanukah. Or, some piece of luggage, such as a carry on, or sports bag.

Chippies

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 10:29 pm
Thanks for the responses so far. They are definitely more familiar with Judaism than the average Jew, as they did go to jewish day school up until a couple of years ago. They have a shabbos dinner every week (not necessarily a kosher one, but "kosher style"), so perhaps a kiddush cup would be nice for them. A Chanukia is another good idea, but I feel like they probably already have one. Maybe I can find a hockey-themed kiddush cup....hmm...haha. Any other suggestions?

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics