Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for a lubavitch community with a good schooling for
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 10:22 am
The city I'm currently living in has one chabad cheder that doesn't offer any secular to the boys. For the last few years I've been trying very hard to supplement their education with tutors, but as they get older and longer hours at school, its getting harder. I b"h have a number of boys (5) and find education very important, to a point that I'm convincing my husband to look for jobs in other areas. The only thing is, I need to find communities to look into. I want an established lubavitch community (can be small) friendly, and accepting of people on all spectrums of chabad (I'm totally frum, chabad raised but lean toward a slightly modern life style). Good education for boys is a must. Anyone have any ideas of communities I can look into?

chani4

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 10:30 am
I'm not ChAbad so I don't know but a friend of mine works in the boys school in la and she says its great. Good luck

oliveoil

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 10:43 am
melbourne

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 10:50 am
oliveoil wrote:
melbourne

Not sure I'm ready for a continent change....

IamI

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 10:53 am
pittsburgh?

oliveoil

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
Not sure I'm ready for a continent change....

You didn't mention which part of the world you're living in.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 23 2014, 10:47 pm
Houston

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 6:46 pm
I live in LA. I love Cheder Menachem for it's warm and caring staff. Regarding the Secular studies, they definitely make an effort however it's around 1.5 - 2 hours a day and the level isn't a very high level considering the limited amount of time and the lessons take place at the end of the day.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 11:13 pm
I love Chicago. It's a nice community and a great school. English is only 2 hours of the day but the principal does lots of extra stuff and is really into giving them the most they can get.
I can't recommend it highly enough, but wherever you decide to go you should come visit first.
Good luck

nyer1

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:37 am
I once heard of this neighborhood in brooklyn... it's called crown heights! I hear it's nice and there are many lubavitch people there... Wink

but in all seriousness... what about Oak Park / Southfield, Michigan? Very strong chabad presence and the housing is EXTREMELY affordable. Like, 5 bedroom house for 200k. Not too shabby.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:45 am
Have you looked into baltimore? There is a growing chabad presence here. A new(ish) cheder (so I don't know the oldest age they have, I think maybe 3rd or 4th grade) that people LOVE. Baltimore itself is a very mixed community but there are 2 strong chabad shuls here and everyone is very accepting in general.

flmommy

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:47 am
Coral spring, Fl

mha3484

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 8:49 am
The Lubavitch Mesivta in Chicago has no English at all. If you were to choose Chicago you would have to send away at some point.

egam

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 11:50 am
Coral Springs only has mesivta and they don't have any secular education at all.

Pittsburgh has, but unless something changed in the past 10 years, I would not call their secular education strong. But it's definitely more than other schools.

Miami has secular education, don't know anything about them though.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 11:55 am
pittsburgh has everything youve mentioned! also its very affordable..look at housing in squirrell hill and Greenfield neighborhoods on zillow and you will be surprised how affordable it is!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 12:18 pm
Ditto what egam said about Coral Springs.

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 6:51 pm
flmommy wrote:
Coral spring, Fl

I'm Lubavitch and just started looking into Coral Springs, I'm trying to get info on how accepting the community is to new Lubavitch families moving in.

I also hear there is a very good lubavitch elementary school in Margaate, right near Coral Springs.

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 7:14 pm
nyer1 wrote:
I once heard of this neighborhood in brooklyn... it's called crown heights! I hear it's nice and there are many lubavitch people there... Wink

but in all seriousness... what about Oak Park / Southfield, Michigan? Very strong chabad presence and the housing is EXTREMELY affordable. Like, 5 bedroom house for 200k. Not too shabby.

She probably lives in Michigan. They might have a strong Chabad presence, but they only have 1 Chabad school and it does not have secular studies!

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 7:21 pm
pittsburgh is known for everything you're seeking in a school & community ...

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 9:20 pm
nyer1 wrote:

The Michigan community is great, but in their Cheder they do not teach English.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating