Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning silver

Pandabeer

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 10:46 pm
I remember reading in one of the latest magazines about cleaning silver in a sink lined with silver foil.
anyone remembers the details? do I add something to the water? how long?
Thanks

mfb

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 10:48 pm
Baking soda I think It said one tbsp per liter of water. I think it also said up to five minutes in the water then buff with clean rag

rae gi

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 10:53 pm
You don't have to do it in the sink, a plastic bin will do. Line bottom of bin with aluminum foil and add bicarbonate of soda (baking soda). Make sure sterling silver touches aluminum foil. Leave a few hours or overnight. Rinse well, use flannel cloth for a high shine. For a super shine, use a high quality silver polish afterwards. Rinse and dry thoroughly with flannel cloth.

Applekugel

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 11:05 pm
I read a followup from a silversmith that this should not be done often because it can ruin your silver.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 11:10 pm
Applekugel wrote:
I read a followup from a silversmith that this should not be done often because it can ruin your silver.

I've heard the same.

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 11:10 pm
Ooops, don't know why that was anonymous.

Pandabeer

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 12:14 am
Thanks for the quick reply.
now I'm looking for my baking soda, that mysteriously disappeared.

is it a whole night or a few minutes?

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 9:06 pm
This electrolytic method is not recommended. It removes tarnish unevenly, so you still end up having to rub like mad to remove the tarnish that's left behind. Either use cream or liquid polish, or, if you avoid chemicals, use a silver polishing cloth or gloves from a reputable firm like Hagerty or Goddard. Oh, and forget the silver "dips"--they are not only quite toxic but will also eventually ruin the silver, giving it a whitish cast that's impossible to remove.

the sad truth is that, barring hiring a butler or investing in a polishing wheel, there is no effortless yet safe (for the silver) way to keep silver sparkling. Sooner or later you have to use the ole elbow grease.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry