Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Food stamp vent

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 5:18 am
I just got a letter saying that my food stamps is closed and that I will need to reapply since I ignored their notice of re-certifying. I mailed it in as soon as I got it and definitely did re-certify! Now it is right before Pesach and I can't deal with applying from scratch and not getting any money this month for food.

I had a baby a few months ago. We faxed in the birth certificate, mailed in a copy, dh went in twice for over 2 hours just to add the baby. Every time they had no record of us coming in - he had proof because he made them give him a signed paper that he came in.

They always send out notices so late and say that whatever information they need is due AFTER the fact so the due date is passed by the time you receive it in the mail.

They never, ever answer the phone or listen to messages. The only option is to go in and wait for hours whenever you need to do anything.

It is so frustrating especially since I always make sure to send everything in on time. I don't want to have no food this month Sad

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 6:04 am
Its a screwed up system!! I can call the office twice and be told different things each time. If I didn't get the renewal in the mail, they wouldn't send me a new one. Had to go down there. Nothing works hand-in-hand there. They make you sweat for the money! Hug

Where do you live? Do you have a local organization to help you with those things (apply, go down there, speed up things etc.)?

Pineapple

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:14 am
amother wrote:

Where do you live? Do you have a local organization to help you with those things (apply, go down there, speed up things etc.)?

Op maybe post your location so others van suggest someone who can help

4eyes

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 9:22 am
Can tomchei Shabbos possibly help you out until you get your paperwork sorted?

gande

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:24 am
Where do u live? I know that in bp therr are private people who go down to the office and give in your paperwork for pay. Its realy worth it.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:34 am
gande wrote:
Where do u live? I know that in bp therr are private people who go down to the office and give in your paperwork for pay. Its realy worth it.

If you have the money to pay someone maybe you should use it towards food.

Leahh

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:42 am
amother wrote:

The approximate $100-$200 these people charge is barely buying food for a family for a week. Food stamps is for a year (I think) so no, the few dollars spent to pay the person to help you apply and ensure you get the food stamps should not be put towards food. It won't help as much in the long run as paying for help with the appliction.
You should never be in a situation to need government assistance to pay for basic necessities.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:48 am
I agree the whole system is so frustrating.

When I applied, we were living off unemployement so paying for someone to do the work was out of the question.

When my DH finally found a(n entry level) job they decreased our amount significantly.

...and after all this aggravation, it doesn't cover my food for the month. I know it is only "supplemental" but it's a real joke for the size family we have.

Oh how I wish to not have to be dependent on any programs but this is the sad reality right now. Exploding anger Sad

paprika

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:53 am
amother wrote:

If you want a bottle of milk, do you buy a cow?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:57 am
paprika wrote:
If you want a bottle of milk, do you buy a cow?

Dumb analogy

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:12 am
If you ever mail anything to foodstamps (or any government office) always pay a bit more and mail it certified. Otherwise it gets lost in the mail. We learned this the hard way.

Talya

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
If you ever mail anything to foodstamps (or any government office) always pay a bit more and mail it certified. Otherwise it gets lost in the mail. We learned this the hard way.

I learnt the hard way that since that needs a signature and you can't get signatures from PO boxes or addresses that have no one there are the moment these things often go undelivered for a while.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
Dumb analogy

dumb amother.

can you go away or post under your sn? your breaking the forum rules

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:52 am
OP here. I am not in NY and there is no organization to help. The line is usually close to 3+ hours and sometimes you need to come back with more information even though we bring every possible document with us every time we go. It is crazy! Erev Pesach, so much to do, and now this! They mail us a letter saying they closed our case: no warnings before, nothing. Next time I will have to go in and drop off the recertification papers to make sure they get it and they will need to give me a receipt with the date to prove I gave it in.

It is so hard to do this. I am sick I have a newborn that I need to nurse so I can't go for hours and hours with the baby and so dh has to go. We have been there 3 times in the past 2 months for hours each time.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:12 pm
Try Nachlas health 718 436 7373

They might be able to help

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:20 pm
I agree not to shell out needed monies for someone else to apply for you ... go down to the office whenever you need to send in anything - because they give you verification paper that you were there & how many papers you gave in with a date & time ...

they are trying to push as many people off the system as possible ... only those with energies to fight back will stay on it - even with cuts in the amount it's worth the time & effort it takes to go down ... telling them you already send in the papers for re-certification and they should kindly locate them - of course you can bring them in again

cow or not - if you needed milk you would wait patiently on the line ~ MOO !!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics