Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Did you ever go for mediation with e.I.?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 10:24 pm
im going for mediation, to get more services for dc. Its very legitimate, all dc therapists recommended it.

is there any tips you can give me?

Should my service coordinater come with me?
Will she be there to help me get more services, or to stay on good terms with the city? Or pareve?
Any insight is appreciated!

animeme

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:30 pm
In general, be wary of relying on your caseworker here. She may love your kid, but her boss is likely trying to save money.

If you have access to an advocate, I'd try to consult with one and if possible bring the advocate with you. All of those I know of help you for free. Depending where you are, you can check with your local Jfs-type agency or possibly with your therapists' agency for referrals, or Google advocates in your area. If this is an autism/pdd issue, try COSAC.

Also, be very careful of the specific language you choose. Asking for something with one set of words might get I for you, and another set won't. Example: "He needs this because its the best way to help him reach his goals" is problematic. Instead, you say, "This is the only appropriate program for him".

This is doable. Hatzlachah!

SplitPea

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:37 pm
Get an advocate if you can and
Be ready for a fight. It took us 4 hours to get a compromise. It was not what we wanted but better than what they originally offered us.

They will try to wear you down and talk around you. It's hard and grueling. But worth it. Good luck!

SplitPea

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:37 pm
Oh and don't sign ANYTHING but the attendance sheet until you are happy

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:42 pm
Thanks all for the replies. How do I get an advocate? I heard of ECDC , anyone hear of that?
One of my therapists said she will come with me. The other ones will write things...

so above poster, you were saying to leave the service coordinator out of it?

animeme

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 11:56 pm
I agree with everything split pea said.

Re. The service coordinator: If she does really like your kid and wants to help, she may be willing to go to bat for you to a certain level. She also may help you by not fighting against you, even if she doesn't fight for you. I had my case worker actually help my lawyer quite a bit when they spoke on the phone, even though she wouldn't stand up in court and say the same things.

I don't know where you live, but it may be automatic that the caseworker is there.

Re. An advocate, check with dc's therapy agency or even his/her therapists. They may be able to give you a name or an agency who would know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)