Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Starting the healthy way, got questions.

smile

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 8:24 pm
I was told that my kid should change her eating habits. So I have to change some of my cooking and baking, but have some questions regarding to it?

1. Need to change my oil to olive oil or cotton oil. Can one use olive oil for baking? If yes what is the substitute to the amount of normal oil.

2. Is potato starch (flour) ok, if she is allergic to any wheat and only can use Spelt. Potato itself she is allowed, so does it mean potato starch will be ok as well?

3. How does Spelt flour work? Can I just substitute normal flour with the same amount in Spelt, or does it have to be its own different recipes?

4. if I can use potatoe starch, which are better for baking, spelt or potato starch?

5. Is there anything I can use instead of breadcrumbs or matzo meal?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by smile on Thu, May 08 2014, 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 9:03 pm
I use spelt cup for cup. I occasionally need to add more water to a bread recipe but not always.

You can get spelt crumbs from shibolim brand.

I use olive oil in everything. I don't really taste a difference but others might.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 9:05 pm
Using spelt makes the baked good mezonos as opposed to potato starch.

I find it much lighter and better tasting than whole wheat.

seeker

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 9:06 pm
I use "light" olive oil in baking and have no issues with it.
Potato starch has a lot less nutritional value than grain flours (e.g. spelt, or can you use rice or quinoa or other flours?) so I'd assume it's not the best choice, though I'm not a maven on these things.

jkw

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 9:15 pm
Maybe try tapioca starch?

I use spelt flour exclusively. It makes darker challah. There is also light spelt flour. Many find spelt more easily digestible.

Spelt does have gluten.

HTH.

Lovelymom1

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 10:27 pm
What about almond flour? I sometimes subsitute it for matzoh meal or flour.

Pineapple

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 10:37 pm
Gefen has gluten free cornflake crumbs that you can use instead of breadcrumbs

sarah11

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 8:43 am
coconut oil is very good for cooking with. Olive oil should't be heated too high as it can actually become harmful at a certain temperature whereas coconut oil has a higher smoke point. there is lots on the internet about 'good fats' which includes which oils to use. Extra virgin olive oil is best for dressings etc when used cold.

smile

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 8:53 am
Lovelymom1 wrote:
What about almond flour? I sometimes subsitute it for matzoh meal or flour.

The only nuts she is allowed are almonds and pistacio. Would almond flour be ok? (No wheats , oats or brans. Just spelt is ok)
Oil is only olive oil or cotton oil. Anyone has experience with baking and cooking with cotton oil? How should I use the olive or cotton oil for cooking/frying/baking???

shirachadasha

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 8:59 am
It sounds like you will be modifying a lot of what you cook and prepare. Can you ask for a consultation with a nutritionist? That way you won't restrict more than necessary and you can get creative substitutions for what you like to make.

chaiz

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 9:04 am
smile wrote:
I was told that my kid should change her eating habits. So I have to change some of my cooking and baking, but have some questions regarding to it?

1. Need to change my oil to olive oil or cotton oil. Can one use olive oil for baking? If yes what is the substitute to the amount of normal oil.

My understanding is that cotton oil is really not a good oil for consumption. You might want to look into that. Can sunflower oil be used instead? Olive oil will have a taste from experience and it is not really suitable for cakes and cookies. I have used it in challah without a problem.

smile

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 2:34 am
Anyone can help me with using Carob instead of chocolate, please?

strawberry cola

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 2:47 am
I remembered reading an interesting article by Varda branfman about using carob, so I looked it up for you. The beginning is naarative, but the end talks about how to use it. Hope it helps!

http://www.chareidi.org/archiv.....b.htm

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 4:08 am
smile wrote:
Anyone can help me with using Carob instead of chocolate, please?

I love carob!
It's not bitter like cocoa, so lower the sugar
use it wherever you use cocoa powder.
I like it best in brownies and milkshakes
It did not work well as hot cocoa

1 frozen banana
1 t vanilla
1/4- 1/2 t molasses
1-2 T carob
1 C milk

Blend together. I use an immersion blender. Add nuts for protein

smiledr

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 12:08 pm
Safflower oil is supposed to be much healthier - my mil uses it to bake on pesach bec cotton seed oil is so unhealthy.

studying_torah

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 4:02 pm
what is unhealthy about cottonseed oil? I once saw a whole documentary about how they extract the oil from the seed, but nothing about it being unhealthy of course Wink
In general, sorry for my stupidity, but what makes one oil more or less healthy than another? Too much saturated fat? Too much processing?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking