Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What if she reads Imamother?

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 9:58 pm
I'm sure this has come up before but I can't help think of it:

Do you ever have a situation you're itching to post about, for advice or general input... but you're afraid the person(s) involved may be reading the post and know it's about them?

A neighbour of mine just put me in a very awkward position and if I describe it, and maybe she reads it, she'll know it's about her... and she'll know I wrote it. Now, I've read some really descriptive issues on here before. Isn't it possible they eventually get back to source?

greenfire

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:00 pm
yup ~ it happens

zaq

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:17 pm
Yes, of course.
The situation calls for some creative writing. Change a few details, or more than a few, that won't change the essence of your question. You know, it wasn't your bff, it was the next-door neighbor; it wasn't an air-conditioner but a lawn sprinkler; it wasn't broken but lost...you get the picture.

busydev

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:23 pm
yes it can get back to her. I have changed details while keeping the basic storyline the same. I have also itched about it for months and then written abt it to finally get off my chest.

acemom

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:26 pm
Whatever I post, especially if it includes identifying details, I keep in mind that "someone" who knows me will read it. Like zaq said, I change the details as much as possible without changing the "essence" of the question.

Having said that, I have already found so many posts and threads that made me think- Did I write that? I've gotten the same situation here.....

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:58 am
I live in a community where almost noone speaks English. The ones I know who speak ENglish know I'm on here and know my screenname too.

Once I met a new girl and she said she was having a hard time with her MIL. I said I was too, usually stuff, critical of my parenting, cooking etc. SHe asked me if I was on imamother and I said yes, and she said "OMG was it you who posted that thread a couple of days ago??" I said I had not been on imamother recently and had never posted about my MIL but I did check out the post she was referring to when I got home and it was full of really personal stuff like the OP was wanting to leave her husband. BH It wasn't my thread but I'm sure the poster whose thread it was wouldn't have wanted to be sussed out like that. OY!

shanie5

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 12:52 am
Funny. I read a thread that I thought would be helpful to my dd. I sent her a link to it. I found out a few months later that it was her who was the op of the thread!! Never occurred to me at the time.

wife2

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 1:56 am
On so many posts, I always read phrases like "I could have been the OP" or "the OP, are you me" or "I could have written this post EXACTLY" from one or two other posters who can relate. Obviously, the more detailed and specific the situation, the less likely that is to happen. However, in general, there are many, many posters so as long as you change details or keep it somewhat vague, it shouldn't be a problem

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 5:15 am
I found out my sister was too sick to make Pesach.

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 10:10 am
A teacher was writing about a kid who has long dirty nails. I was like - heeelp! Was that my child's teacher? I hate cutting nails lol.

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 10:22 am
One person I know figured out my screen name here. She reads my posts then texts me about them. Its sooo annoying and I wish she would stop. All it takes its a little common sense. Smile

zaq

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
One person I know figured out my screen name here. She reads my posts then texts me about them. Its sooo annoying and I wish she would stop. All it takes its a little common sense. Smile

You could reapply for membership under another screen name. All you'd lose would be your membership points and your stalker.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette