Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Easy Mock Cheese Knishes recipe

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 10:18 pm
Whether you are doing some last minute Shavuos cooking, or looking for dairy recipes for later on this summer, here is an easy one for you. My mother used to make these for supper when I was growing up, and I always thought it was wonderful. I made them for the first time last year, and it was like tasting childhood. They were still that good.

To give credit, where credit is due, my mother got these from a cookbook. I am not 100% sure, but I think it was from The Pleasures of Your Food Processor by Norene Gilletz.

Easy Mock Cheese Knishes

1 pound dry cottage cheese
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Process all ingredients together until well mixed. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto cookie sheets which have been lined with foil and greased. Bake on middle rack of oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot with sour cream and berries. 18-20 knishes. Freezes well.

Me again. Just to let you know, I have substituted oil for the butter, and it worked out pretty well. You can use a hand mixer for this. I personally just mix it with a fork. Also, my spoonfuls must be small, because my current batch yielded 27 knishes.

Enjoy

edit:

I tried to post photos of my knishes, but I can't get it to work. Sorry.

Last edited by dee's mommy on Mon, Jun 06 2011, 12:47 am; edited 2 times in total

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 10:23 pm
Thanks! I love this kind of recipe! My kids will thank you. Smile

shanie5

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 11:07 pm
Sounds yumm! Am printing the recipe now.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 12:45 am
FYI, dry curd cottage cheese is farmers cheese.

suzyq

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 9:46 am
Thank you! I may have just figured out the last piece of my Shavuos menu!

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 2:01 pm
Bumping this again. It's an easy recipe for Shavuos. This is a family favourite, and tastes just like childhood to me.

Enjoy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics