Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Tveria

blossoming

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 6:42 am
My husband just got accepted to a good job in Tveria, B"H for next year.

It looks like we would have to move, and I was wondering if there is any English Speaking yeshivish type of Kehilla? Will I have who to talk to by the park? Perhaps start a Neshei? What is the community like? My kids are still small so I am asking mostly for me.

Anyone know the place up close?

freidasima

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 8:36 am
Tveria? Are there any anglos at all there?

blossoming

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 8:41 am
Thats what I'm wondering!

Anyone?

blossoming

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 6:16 am
I guess its going to be a lonely year Sad
We were just there checking it out yesterday and I'm already having hard feelings of parting from my neighbors .

Please, is there anyone who knows something about that city besides being a tourist city?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 6:22 am
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/g.....lk=11

try this link

Sanguine

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 6:33 am
freidasima wrote:
Tveria? Are there any anglos at all there?

You're a snob!! You think cause you don't know anyone there, there must not be any? Wink My sister lives there (30 years) but won't be much of a help for OP. She might be the only anglo. Her youngest just graduated HS so she doesn't sit in the park. She's DL but everyone in her building is Chareidi (or maybe Yeshivish).

OP - PM me and I'll give you her number though I don't think it will help much (she can't create anglos for you Smile )

nameless

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:00 am
Is it a possibility for your husband to commute? I'm sure there are other cities/moshavim in the general area with anglos that are commutable to Tevaria.

blossoming

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:07 am
nameless wrote:
Is it a possibility for your husband to commute? I'm sure there are other cities/moshavim in the general area with anglos that are commutable to Tevaria.

Thanks, but part of the job is actually living right there. It's part of the deal...

freidasima

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:11 am
Thank you sang, I know I can always count on you for a gentle and comforting response.
Actually I do know anglos who had lived in Tveria, but in terms of the age group that the OP is looking for, they sure don't fit. They are contemporaries of my mother, may she be a melitzas yosher in Gan Eden for us all, who made Aliyah in the 1930s as children from NY during the depression. How much English they remember is also a moot point...

But as she isn't looking for the 85 and up crowd..I truly didn't think that there is much of an anglo kehilla of under 40 year olds in Tveria today...maybe some English speakers in Hoshaya...and of course the Yekke-Anglos of Kibbutz Lavi but they are also in their 80s...

Sanguine

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:19 am
freidasima wrote:
Thank you sang, I know I can always count on you for a gentle and comforting response.
Actually I do know anglos who had lived in Tveria

"Curses! Foiled again"
I thought I finally hit on a place where I know someone and you don't

smilingmom

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:28 am
According to NBN there is a small but very supportive group of Americans there. You may want to reach out to them before you move.

My brother, who is American, has lived there for 20 years. Also because it is a tourist spot, everyone speaks English.

I am sure you and your kids will do great there, it is a gorgeous city, with all the amenities of a large city, plus the beauty of the kineret.

blossoming

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:40 am
smilingmom wrote:
According to NBN there is a small but very supportive group of Americans there. You may want to reach out to them before you move.

My brother, who is American, has lived there for 20 years. Also because it is a tourist spot, everyone speaks English.

I am sure you and your kids will do great there, it is a gorgeous city, with all the amenities of a large city, plus the beauty of the kineret.

Thanks, I hope so!

freidasima

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 8:53 am
Sang, after living here over 40 years and having gone to university here, working here all around the country I am by now, as they say, six degrees removed from at least a fifth of the population here in one way or another. Don't even try.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 9:22 am
freidasima wrote:
Sang, after living here over 40 years and having gone to university here, working here all around the country I am by now, as they say, six degrees removed from at least a fifth of the population here in one way or another. Don't even try.

Do I seem like the type of person who gives up on a challenge?

Imogen

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 11:32 am
Tveria is beautiful, you never who might meet, end up speaking the most amazing ivrit as well as sharing your english skills with new neighbours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions