Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone's child had microcephaly(small head size way below
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 1:31 pm
Amother again,

how old is your son and what do you mean by severely delayed? Just wondering how he is in relation to my daughter.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 1:35 pm
There's a huge range of delays in kids with microcephaly.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 1:03 pm
Hi Everyone

My daughter was also diagnosed with microcephaly when she was 9 months, I also had IUGR
She was born like 4.6 lb
I was not gaining any weight during my pregancy and from the getco they could not set a due date, I had 4 diff dates ranging week apart.

The geneticist believes that she was conceived like that because of some sort of gene mutation. and also mentioned that if I were to have more kids there is 25% chance my next one will like that. So at this time in order for me to continue with genetics consultation I have to do two more genetic testing that I cannot afford, there is microcephaly gene testing -to see what caused it -like $9,000 and GENOME Sequensing also super expensive and my insurance company doesnt cover

I have 2 older daughters who B'H are so bright.
But now this daughter is almost 3 (2 years and 10 months to be exact) she is been getting lots of therapy.
She is below the 1% percentile on head circumference chart, below average for weight, but height BH is average. She looks proportional, he head is measuring now 45cm.

I have been doing research on microcephaly and it could have been much worse, I am thankful to Hashem that she ok, (meaning, she has eye contact, says baby sentences with 3 words or less, understand simple requests) she is not very communicative and she still very agressive with her older ssters, she still doesnt sleep through the night, and has night terrors.

I hope and pray that she ll be completely a normal kid (my neurologist did say that 10% of microcephaly diagnosed kids are completely normal)

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
Hi Everyone

My daughter was also diagnosed with microcephaly when she was 9 months, I also had IUGR
She was born like 4.6 lb
I was not gaining any weight during my pregancy and from the getco they could not set a due date, I had 4 diff dates ranging week apart.

The geneticist believes that she was conceived like that because of some sort of gene mutation. and also mentioned that if I were to have more kids there is 25% chance my next one will like that. So at this time in order for me to continue with genetics consultation I have to do two more genetic testing that I cannot afford, there is microcephaly gene testing -to see what caused it -like $9,000 and GENOME Sequensing also super expensive and my insurance company doesnt cover

I have 2 older daughters who B'H are so bright.
But now this daughter is almost 3 (2 years and 10 months to be exact) she is been getting lots of therapy.
She is below the 1% percentile on head circumference chart, below average for weight, but height BH is average. She looks proportional, he head is measuring now 45cm.

I have been doing research on microcephaly and it could have been much worse, I am thankful to Hashem that she ok, (meaning, she has eye contact, says baby sentences with 3 words or less, understand simple requests) she is not very communicative and she still very agressive with her older ssters, she still doesnt sleep through the night, and has night terrors.

I hope and pray that she ll be completely a normal kid (my neurologist did say that 10% of microcephaly diagnosed kids are completely normal)

My child doesn't have microcephaly but does have other delays that are likely congenital. Does the geneticist want to test you and/or your husband or just your daughter? Have you had any genetic testing done?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 2:33 pm
Hi everyone! I am new to this thread but I think I can help some of you. DD has microcephaly. we've done lots of testing over the course of 2 years. To make a long story short, we did exome sequencing which orginally came back negative. a few months ago I got a call that a new genetic mutation has been found. Pretty much there is a newly found mutation that causes microcephaly. It seems to affect Ashkenazic Jews. There are very few cases known to us right now. Now that we know exactly which gene and mutation to look for, it can be prevented in future children. Also the testing for this is covered by most insurances, and if not the total cost is about $300-$350. the testing consists of a cheek swab and takes about 4 weeks for results. If anybody here would be interested in testing, or would like more information let me know.

msinalaw

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 2:54 pm
We are Sephardic -and have a child with microcephaly - Baruch HaShem she is 3 and progressing slowly but surely

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 3:28 pm
Thank you for posting the info. This news is extremely interesting and relevent to my situation. How can I contact you for more info.? Where did you do this testing?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 9:34 pm
Are you in the tri-state area?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 9:43 pm
I would also. Im in NJ

gande

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 12:16 pm
I'm in Brooklyn. I posted under my screen name so that you can pm me the information that you have. Thanks
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics